chemicals and producing music

- ask away
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

Torque wrote: I understand what your talking about by inducing a chemical release in the brain with music but i believe there's something a step beyond that. I took my cue from Nikola Tesla when he stated that everything in the universe is made up of frequency. All we are doing in the end is playing with resonant frequencies when we're making music. When people relate a certain key or scale or mode to sound a certain way like sad, happy, ominus etc.... it's because the sound of certain frequencies together and the way they interfere with each other resonate with the way the human brain sends out signals thereby causing it to release chemicals that fool it into thinking or feeling the way the music is meant to portray. The people that seem to be the best at making music are those who are more open minded to the thoughts of other people and can see an argument from both sides.

I believe music is a spiritual practice as much as it is a physical one.

P.S.
I am not a scientist so i have no idea if this is the way it works but it's the way i like to think of it working. I hope my rambling made sense to somebody out there.
I think I know where you're coming from dude. I think chemicals flowing around in the brain are a way for it to interact with this spiritual side (like a currency for it, if you will). I was over emphasising the scientific part a little, cos it can sometimes be hard to relate to spiritual talk, and I see these chemical reactions as a very pretty physical illustration of some of this beauty that is also grounded in some undeniable technological research.

I would say though, that I think certain chemicals like weed can be beneficial to the creative process (big emphasis on the can part though). For me personally, it gives me a very nice way to escape my normal routine and approach sound from a different mindset. There have been lots of times when I've abused this though, and I've got into a long lasting messy routine... where my brains system for reward has gotten rewired to only feeling pleasure when I had THC floating around, which made me really quite self centered, and I'm pretty sure I was just making music as an excuse to get stoned and feel personal pleasure (still not completely out of this mindset I don't think). And obviously this is pretty much the opposite of where I'd wanna be to to make useful music for other people.

I think one very important thing to say here though, is that everybody has their own system for using/not using certain things. And I think to find this stuff out for yourself can be a very useful learning experience in itself. I learnt a lot from some of the stuff on the internet though... www.bluelight.ru and www.erowid.org have some great info (as well as some pretty awful stuff).
victorgonzales
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by victorgonzales »

I start most of my best work while drunk. Most people I know cant make sh!t while drunk but it works for me. For some reason I can really find a rhythm when intoxicated by alcohol. Its kind of the same as how when I hear a great DJ spinning sober Ill sit and enjoy the talent but if I have had a few drinks in me Ill dance my ass off.

Now that being said I only START my best work drunk. In a couple drunken hours I can lay down an awesome grove and framowork with the percussion and bass and lead. If I start a track sober I just cant find that good groove jammin on my midi controler.

After the drunken track has been started the next steps are sober. I cant pay attention to detail when drunk and I need a clear mind to fine tune all the things I made while drinking. I often make changes in the perc. and then I start adding the more intricate stuff which would not be possible intoxicated.I also need to be sober for any type of equing and mastering.

My ABSOLUTE BEST work has been made drunk immediately after having sex though. I dont know why but Im in such and awesome mood that it just spills into the music.
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

victorgonzales wrote: My ABSOLUTE BEST work has been made drunk immediately after having sex though. I dont know why but Im in such and awesome mood that it just spills into the music.
music after sex is key... girls always get pissed about it too. "quit playing with your laptop..." :D
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
victorgonzales
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by victorgonzales »

hydrogen wrote:
victorgonzales wrote: My ABSOLUTE BEST work has been made drunk immediately after having sex though. I dont know why but Im in such and awesome mood that it just spills into the music.
music after sex is key... girls always get pissed about it too. "quit playing with your laptop..." :D
LOL yeah my wife gets it though. She knows as soon as I catch my breath after sex im goin straight to the fridge for a beer and straight to the computer for the next three hours.
revy
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by revy »

i find it interesting to approach production from as many mindsets as possible. sober, drunk, stoned, frying, pissed off, happy, bored....whatever. then mix it up into an arrangement and see what story unfolds.

although i must admit i feel some of the best stuff i've done was after a good acid trip...but maybe thats just some kind of emotional connection for me only. which is alright cuz 80% of my stuff stays on the hard drive never to escape.
SHAP
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by SHAP »

i like doing stuff when im come back from a club....best insperation.
Roqqert
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Roqqert »

i think its about 2 things mainly

motivation and patience.

How do you get motivated and how do you create patience ( hardest part if you ask me )

In my opinion the drugs extends your patience cause youre getting stoned and youre like fck it just let it flow and you can make things you with samples or tweaked synthsounds you've never used before cause its not in your pattern of making a beat. The patience tweaks ability to variate your producing partern. Other people are rly picky on what they do and wanna hear. That's the motivation part. If you're like : damn i need some bigass samples/synths, you wont really get triggert that producing session. I think you might be TOO focussed on what you wanna make. You cant find your sample or synth and you cant trigger/motivate yourself anymore to start on another part of the track like an extra synth/break/whatever

just sharing my vision.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

very interesting topic mark,
it really is an individual thing, but my experience of this has mutated around over the years, finally settling on a system that works for me. like many musicians from the jazz cats onwards, (and probably stretching way back in time) i find weed condusive to the creative process, to a point !
just enough gets me in the mood, increases my depth perception, puts me in the head space of the revellers on the dancefloor, it simply gets me THERE, wherever there is, but too much and my ability to use a computer begins to deteriorate, i get stuck in loops for hours, i become microscopically perfectionist, only to find the next day that it wasnt so perfect after all.
i think these are common scenarios for dope musicians.
the answer for some people is to be totally sober, but for me abstaining doesnt work, i find it harder to motivate myself, and i dont get as excited about what i'm doing, and more importantly believe it or not i work more slowly. somehow, maybe it's just years of conditioning, my brain seems to have been rewired to benefit from the weed, so that i can quickly come up with novel and untried ways of working without actually thinking about it. it's almost become automatic for me. its like i try things i simply wouldnt have thought of in a sober headspace.
so i have a system that works for me. the weed helps me in the initial creative phase, like rhythmic patterning, and sound creation, then when i have to get down to the organisational, sequencing, computer oriented phase i'm totally sober. once i'm happy that everything is running smoothly, that the mix levels are right, and most importantly that its still going to sound good the next day, then i return to the tranced out state for mixing down live. thats probably when i'm most creative, and when i'm in free flow without inhibitions, and the weed undoubtedly hones my improvisational ability.
the important thing for me is that i dont overdo it. keep it under control and it enhances music creation, too much and you'll never finish anything and it will sound less than amazing the next day.