minimal drums

- ask away
Murgit
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Murgit »

Does that collection of posts represent "minimal entry requirements"?

Sorry, thats just too fucking obvious. I should of searched to see if mine was an original quip.

To the OP.
These prickly bastards will help you no-end if you help yourself first.
s.k.
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by s.k. »

i think the whole forum (well at least 'our' section heheh) is on a synthesis wave right now, so anyone asking for drum sample banks or such is kinda bound to get flamed.

fact is, theres a drum synthesis plugs thread going on right now so, even if you ask for drum synthesis, you gonna get flamed too (and for a good reason) for at least not looking at the top few topics' names before posting yours.

that said, to answer the OP - synthesis, synthesis and only synthesis. (at least here... :D )
New Guy
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by New Guy »

Murgit wrote:Does that collection of posts represent "minimal entry requirements"?

Sorry, thats just too fucking obvious. I should of searched to see if mine was an original quip.

To the OP.
These prickly bastards will help you no-end if you help yourself first.
Why ask me?
Im just a voice inside your head.

Don't ask me!
Ask yourself!
(dum dum TSHHHK)

Whom did i quote? :D
Robot Criminal
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Robot Criminal »

I don't know

:lol:
Image we are all atomic and subatomic particles and we are all wireless...
New Guy
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by New Guy »

Robot Criminal wrote:I don't know

:lol:
We have a winnah! :lol:
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

s.k. wrote:i think the whole forum (well at least 'our' section heheh) is on a synthesis wave right now, so anyone asking for drum sample banks or such is kinda bound to get flamed.

fact is, theres a drum synthesis plugs thread going on right now so, even if you ask for drum synthesis, you gonna get flamed too (and for a good reason) for at least not looking at the top few topics' names before posting yours.

that said, to answer the OP - synthesis, synthesis and only synthesis. (at least here... :D )
Hmmnn, I think the thing that most people have a problem with is laziness, not with choice of method, which is pretty fair, and which is basically the point that you made.

I have mates who use lots of sampling who get very useful, musical and emotional results from it. Same goes with some of the found sound guys, for example. I think the key is how you use it, not what it is you're using.

But yeah, you're right, there are quite a few synthesis freaks round these parts.
VanillaCamilla
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by VanillaCamilla »

s.k. wrote: that said, to answer the OP - synthesis, synthesis and only synthesis. (at least here... :D )
i agree synthesis as well(it's what i use mainly), but im not sure it's wise to limit yourself to JUST synthesis, sometimes it's good to mix it up with a sample or 2.

.02 :D
ec50
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ec50 »

s.k. wrote:i think the whole forum (well at least 'our' section heheh) is on a synthesis wave right now, so anyone asking for drum sample banks or such is kinda bound to get flamed.

def not the 'whole' forum - and not sure what 'your' section is....

flaming is gay - but so is not searching the forum for your query before posting it... but flaming is more gay (s.k.)

as for you 'synthesis freaks' - i've never understood it - why make things more difficult? we use synths- we tweak a lot of settings and noises and are creative in our approch - however - in oder to make a simple shaker etc, i see no benefit in synthesis. for your lead synths - basses fx etc. yea - synthesize the crap out of it... but for simple percussion noises etc?... its samples for us

perhaps we're the 'noobs' - and we're being 'lazy' - but lets put the music to the test... thats what counts isnt it? each his own method during producing - def. don't flame someone for it..

i'm not going to diss those who spend hours synthesizing a shaker and the final result is a shite track. but it does make me wonder...

how about first making some good music...? come up with good concepts, melodies, etc - then i can imagine at a certain point it becomes a 'challenge' - ie. it becomes fun to do and invest time in coming up with those noises in order to personalize each and every step of the process...

i still wouldnt do it - but hey - thats my opinion.

people listneing - or those on the dancefloor arent going to care about the process - neither will i.

guess im not a production purist. i just like good music.

@ souls - welcome & i'm sure you got the message (but juuust in case: check before you post ;)
"Half maximal effective concentration"

www.ecfifty.com
www.myspace.com/ec50
www.soundcloud.com/ec50