Writers on drugs...

- open
MANIKCHILE
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by MANIKCHILE »

I read the 13th books of Castaneda and also the ones from the aprendcis, very nice and fun books.
Also reccomend Kryon books and Mensajeros del Alba.

Greets
JoeHell
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by JoeHell »

" junk " or " junky " ( seen the same book titled differently ; guessing different pressings ) by William Burroughs ( about a homosexual heroin addict in the 40's )

"Trainspotting " - Irvine Welsh

and on the Poe kick must read is the stories of H.P Lovecraft - wrote short horror stories and are incredible. I worship his work -

i also 100 % back Hunter S. - a true hero of mine. Make sure to read his book Hells Angels - a great read.
moey
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by moey »

How about Philip K. dck? Even though he's considered a Sci-fi writer and you said that you're not a fan of the genre, I don't think he's classically sci-fi at all (or maybe he's the most sci-fi of them all). He was very critical of the genre and tried to subvert it whenever possible.
Some of his books are very trippy, and while not really focused on drugs or drug experiences per se, they are certainly asking some very hallucinogenic questions such as "how do we know we are alive and not dead? How can I be sure that the reality I am seeing is the same reality that other people also see?"

I would recommend his books Ubik and The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch.

Also, Tom Wolfe's The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test is about the '60's American drug culture, among other things. It's an entertaining book.
sorgenkind
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by sorgenkind »

you might want to check authors like jack kerouac and allen gingsberg, the most important of the beat generation.
Lots of book, lots of drugs.
Ah, Charles Bukowsky as well.
Alex M
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Alex M »

Excellent guys, thnx for the responses.
I now have a years worth of books to read at least.... :lol:
mlexicon
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by mlexicon »

oskar kokoschka - sea ringed with visions
signatures suck
Krul
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Krul »

Baudelaire is good. I haven't really read a lot of books by writers who were under the influence (although maybe Poe and Kafka?). But if you have read any of baudelaire's poems I can recommend you another french poet (you probably heard of him), namely Arthur Rimbaud.

info on him here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_Rimbaud

and some poems (english translations) here: http://www.mag4.net/Rimbaud/poesies/Poems.html
:)

btw, thx for the answers everyone, I'm definitly gonna check out some of those books :)
erdbeerschnitzel
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by erdbeerschnitzel »

You might check "Drop City" by T.C. Boyle, it's about a hippie commune which moves from California to Alaska, great writing and extensive drug use ;) - i really can recommend this book.