Artists moving to Germany to better their art

- open
cyhl
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by cyhl »

here is a very interesting read about the nyc scene, and how/why people, and in particular techno producers, move from nyc to berlin or barcelona (with several familiar names):

http://www.villagevoice.com/news/0430,r ... 414,1.html
thomasjaldemark
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by thomasjaldemark »

hehe. i moved to berlin myself for 6 months.. was great.. will be coming back.. just hard to find a job though :/
minimal house
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by minimal house »

Interesting topic, but I fail to see how moving to Europe or Berlin will better ones art. I think a lot of artists move there because theres a lot going on. Americans are going there because of laws like R.A.V.E Act (Reducing Americans Vulnerability to Ecstacy) and smoking bans all which effect djs. Coupled with the fact that in most cities in the US, the minimal scene is exactly that, minimal so its tough to get a good crowd unless your Matt Dear, Magda or dck Hawtin.

I always thought that if i moved there Id never get any music done. With gigs, possible record label, dayjob, and sightseeing historic places that leaves little time to actually make music.
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

cyhl wrote:here is a very interesting read about the nyc scene, and how/why people, and in particular techno producers, move from nyc to berlin or barcelona (with several familiar names):

Good article, and it describes the situation as I see it for american aritsts.
AbstraKt
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by AbstraKt »

patrick bateman wrote:
cyhl wrote:here is a very interesting read about the nyc scene, and how/why people, and in particular techno producers, move from nyc to berlin or barcelona (with several familiar names):

Good article, and it describes the situation as I see it for american aritsts.
echo that! Thanks for the link.

I think that urban music dominates north america and leaves very little room for anything else that doesn't generate as much profit. Whereas europe its electronica that have a fare share of the market and make it viable for artists to survive.
minimal house wrote:...R.A.V.E Act (Reducing Americans Vulnerability to Ecstacy) and smoking bans all which effect djs.
Also post 9/11 it's been harder for artists to come over to north america to play. There is no real incentive to come here and play especially if the minimal scene is not thriving. I know where I am the house, trance and d&b scene are still doing well. There hasn't been any strict guide lines like "no dancing" :shock:
The general music scene tho moved towards the after hour parties and have been pretty liberal.
dsat wrote:sometimes it's even better to be a bit isolated from the entire circus, so you can do your thing without having to be influenced so you can be more spontaneous in your music
"Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and life to everything."
- Plato -

"Only passions, great passions, can elevate the soul to great things. "
-Denis Diderot-
Jesse Somfay
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Jesse Somfay »

dsat wrote: i think if you put too many people who are into minimal together, they will surely end up over-intellectualising the whole thing resulting in unnecessary elitist bullshit...
That has already been going on ;) I can't stand it. I am sick of all the scenester sh!t going on right now. It's not neccessary at all.

I also agree, moving to some place like Berlin to better ones art is total rubbish. An artist can be artistic no matter where s/he lives!

:)
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

An artist can be artistic no matter where s/he lives!
Yeah, of course that's true, but if you want something to happen, and to happen faster, then it's often better to be placed in a city where things actually are happening... eg. Berlin/Barcelona/Hamburg/London/Paris etc etc....
jspr
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by jspr »

but when you want to perform in front of areal audience and get some feedback you have to move/go to the place where the scene is active..... sitting in a forrest with a Powerbook, microcontroller and some speakers won't do the trick..... :?