Organising records at home and in your bag

- open
thelibrarian
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by thelibrarian »

I organize two cases always. One with classics that I know work and another with new records that I am into. If everything goes well you never touch the aforementioned first crate. It's good to know it's there though.

Best,
TL
vermi
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by vermi »

techno at one side of the big shelf, minimal/house on the other side

newest records in an own shelf, then putting them into the other shelfs as the shelf with new records get full :)
jessejames
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by jessejames »

2nd question -

Usually the night before, I'll go through the majority of my tracks and see which ones I want to play for the set (based on venue, time of day, slot time, length of set, etc) and put all those tracks into their own folder (I use Serato)

So for example, I pull aside 30 tracks that I think would work well (new ones, older ones, whatever) and then play on the fly. No pre-programming.
menos160
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by menos160 »

all my records are indexed in a .xls file, and i have it on paper, so if i want a random track, just look into my nerdbook and it appears. All of them have a number, so if it's not in his respective place, i'm fucked :shock:
Celltek
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Celltek »

menos160 wrote:all my records are indexed in a .xls file, and i have it on paper, so if i want a random track, just look into my nerdbook and it appears. All of them have a number, so if it's not in his respective place, i'm fucked :shock:
Hahah.. you must have a hell of a collection?
Celltek
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Celltek »

jessejames wrote:2nd question -

Usually the night before, I'll go through the majority of my tracks and see which ones I want to play for the set (based on venue, time of day, slot time, length of set, etc) and put all those tracks into their own folder (I use Serato)
This makes sense! Usually I grab my new tracks because I'm excited to hear em loud but I dont know-(KNOW) them as in I have no idea whether they work..

Thanks for all the tips people!!
vrejulf
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by vrejulf »

i wonder why you came up with this question so late ?
i mean ... if you already have 600 of them , haven't you stumbled earlier before? :D
Celltek
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Celltek »

vrejulf wrote:i wonder why you came up with this question so late ?
i mean ... if you already have 600 of them , haven't you stumbled earlier before? :D
I read an interview about Tiesto who apparently takes a long time preparing and packing his bag.. so it made me wonder, what great secret he has and if I could do this to improve my performances.

Secondly, this weekend I took a too broad selection of music house/mnml/tech and I actually panicked for a second halfway the mix while looking for the right record :-)