mono vs stereo

- ask away
codecks
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by codecks »

I suppose we can keep the sample as mono in our library and apply panning to the sample when we use it ? I don't see the use to store it as a stereo wav file. Correct me if I'm missing something here.
minimal my ass !
codecks
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Re: mono vs stereo

Post by codecks »

plaster wrote:
codecks wrote:Is there any advantage to keep percussion or other samples in stereo if left and right channel are the same ?
what do you mean if left and right channels are the same?
I mean, having the same audio data on both channels from the wave file.
minimal my ass !
fredrik_h
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by fredrik_h »

plaster wrote:
codecks wrote:Is there any advantage to keep percussion or other samples in stereo if left and right channel are the same ?
what do you mean if left and right channels are the same?
if the signal on both channels are identical (yes even though the actual sample or whatever might be in stereo), its only function is that it doubles the volume. having that said, I think the volume of the signal behaves differently when panning a stereo sample than a mono sample as the mono sample only has one channel that is panned (same volume all the time). while a stereo one will have it's volume decreased by half if being fully panned in one direction as it is dependant on it's both channels. maybe I'm wrong... never really thought about it until now.
plaster
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by plaster »

fredrik_h wrote:while a stereo one will have it's volume decreased by half if being fully panned in one direction as it is dependant on it's both channels. maybe I'm wrong... never really thought about it until now.
ur right actually, but don't you get the same thing when using two mono to create fake stereo?
Drop the idea of becoming someone else, because you are already a masterpiece.
fredrik_h
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by fredrik_h »

plaster wrote:...ur right actually, but don't you get the same thing when using two mono to create fake stereo?
yes, but - why you would you like to do that? I'm not following you here? :)
plaster
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by plaster »

fredrik_h wrote:
plaster wrote:...ur right actually, but don't you get the same thing when using two mono to create fake stereo?
yes, but - why you would you like to do that? I'm not following you here? :)

a bit of confusion is always good :)

um, i wouldn't do that to start with...i thought we were discusing if percusion is okay to go mono instead of stereo. damn man, maybe i'm just too tired after the bbq.
Drop the idea of becoming someone else, because you are already a masterpiece.
SpacyX
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by SpacyX »

BOKAL RECORDS wrote:you can easyly pan a mono sample, realy no need to have stereo samples of percussion sounds
How on earth are you going to pan a sound that only exists out of one channel ?
You'll need 2 channels to create an unbalanced left - right effect.

About storing the percussion wav/aif files as mono is actually something i didn't think about doing.
Really saves alot i guess.
BOKAL RECORDS
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by BOKAL RECORDS »

in the past i preferred doing it mono-style cause my sampler had only 2mb of RAM....now i gues with Macs with unlimmited processing capabilities its not so important annymore, still all my single shot percussing i save as mono wav's.. gues its a habit...