politics of acquiring unreleased music

- open
harold_f
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by harold_f »

victorgonzales wrote:Im by no means a famous dj but alot of the time if I ask a label for a digital promo and show them where Im playing it at (if it's a nice club),promise them feedback and that I won't share it, they will give me a promo copy.

Have any of you ever tried asking?
and are we speaking of mp3 promos because from what i hear very few vinyl promos are pressed these days :o
victorgonzales
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by victorgonzales »

harold_f wrote:
victorgonzales wrote:Im by no means a famous dj but alot of the time if I ask a label for a digital promo and show them where Im playing it at (if it's a nice club),promise them feedback and that I won't share it, they will give me a promo copy.

Have any of you ever tried asking?
and are we speaking of mp3 promos because from what i hear very few vinyl promos are pressed these days :o
mp3s.

Alot of artists will give you a copy if you ask them. Even the big shots. You just gotta show them some appreciation of their work with a slight bit of ass kissing.
idealstandard
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by idealstandard »

Like or not, but music is a product like soap or whatever.

Denying that, for a dj, not owning the tune everybody's spinning and everybody is wanting to hear can make someone want to steal this tune to play it, well... People get killed for sneakers, you know?
pheek
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by pheek »

First, I don't understand the need to re-start this whole discussion we had 100 times in a new thread. Please... :roll:

Second, I think what had to be said was said. The thing that really bothers me here, is that even though there's tons of labels/DJ that are happy to share their unreleased stuff, it annoys some others.

What will it take for you guys to understand there's some people who gets bothered by sharing unreleased material?

Especially if it was not acquired through the artist or something.

To read all these explanation, justification, rationalisation just make me see that there's a lot of people who are disrespectful and irresponsible. I dont care about your chickens, if I say it annoys me, can you please respect that? What's wrong with this world?

I dont know what sort of relationship you guys want to have with people who make music but sometimes I feel like we're at your service and everything we do is a due for you. Personally, I really would like to have a good relationship with artists I admire and would never go against something they would ask me not to do. It's seems logical to me, why isn't for others???

:?

There's a french saying that could be translated: "Feed the pigs as they will be happy to sh!t in your yard." I really feel what it means sometimes.

Sorry for being blunt but I feel it's about time I speak my mind about it.
pizzamon
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by pizzamon »

This is a direct result of the instant gratification society. If a track is musical, and it's good music...it will always be good. I try to wait for the hype to end before I get my mitts on a track, but I only spin vinyl, and spinning vinyl is timeless. Remember that if you burn bright as a superstar, you will burn half as long. There is no easy way to become a respected musician. You have to put your time in...A LOT of time. My collection spans decades. Still, I have no interest in pawning myself off here. It's like everything else in life, NO FREE LUNCH. It's funny, I have a day job and other priorities in life. Music is something that makes my life better, it's not the ONLY thing for me, I have other sides to my personality that I can show people. I have other interests; yet I still get tossed promos from time to time just because I've been around long enough. I don't even ask for them, so I don't understand how someone so desperate to be a super D.J. can't get promo's.
dsat
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by dsat »

i shared some unreleased stuff a while back, with a limited number of people.... 2 weeks later it was on the p2p, we didn't release the vinyl as a result

i guess to some (or many people) music is seen as a consumption product, prêt à porter... do they care if someone spent time and money... nope...

the new generation of kids don't seem to understand that we had to fight for our music, but now everything is taken for granted... 'respect' is just a cool expression without any meaning
Fonque
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Fonque »

keep on whining guys. your tracks can't be appreciated higher as by all people wanting them like crazy, before they're actually released.

Most of the people getting them illegally before it's released will get themselves a legal copy afterwards.

well at least this is how I do it.
"What is underground? Dig a fucking hole and stick your head in it."

http://www.myspace.com/mrfonk

"yeah, vinyl is real! all these cd's and downloads are bullshit, they aint real."
Leighton Ashcroft
thomasjaldemark
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by thomasjaldemark »

Fonque wrote: Most of the people getting them illegally before it's released will get themselves a legal copy afterwards.
I would like to know where you get this "truth" from...