Jeff Milligan Interview

- open
smith
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by smith »

tone-def wrote:Very good interview. The minus thing is very true.
Yeah, but don't hate on the label. Hate on lazy fans who don't dig/research to find other stuff to fill out their understanding of the genre. M_nus is great, if I was releasing minimal I would totally want to be on the label.. but Jeff is right about the labels cult brand status. Look at the hype around Magda! How many other producers out there have released as little and are such DJ icons?

The label is definitely a lightning rod though (which means they are doing something right in the music industry)..

I understand Jeff's perspective though, it is funny.. I never feel more cynical about the independent music industry then when I've chatted with him or read him being interviewed.
apanell
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by apanell »

smith wrote:
tone-def wrote:Very good interview. The minus thing is very true.
Yeah, but don't hate on the label. Hate on lazy fans who don't dig/research to find other stuff to fill out their understanding of the genre. M_nus is great, if I was releasing minimal I would totally want to be on the label.. but Jeff is right about the labels cult brand status. Look at the hype around Magda! How many other producers out there have released as little and are such DJ icons?

The label is definitely a lightning rod though (which means they are doing something right in the music industry)..

I understand Jeff's perspective though, it is funny.. I never feel more cynical about the independent music industry then when I've chatted with him or read him being interviewed.
yeah but i dont think the teawoman is famous for her productions... i think she was a dj first.. producer second. also.. pretty much if you're cool with richie and working with him as a dj you are popular !

i am not against m_nus.. but i am kind of annoyed at people taking a piss out of them. anyway though - can't blame anybody. it's always cool to hate on pop sensibilities no matter what
Der geile Ami
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Der geile Ami »

cool interview. i would love to shoot the sh!t with jeff.

i dont get the minus hating either. lots of successful labels owe part of their standing on marketing. This is a business, after all, but at least it is still grass roots. Its not like minus was a project from sony or universal, etc.... I give mixes from minus artists to my gf's brother all the time and I doubt he knows that minus is a label, he just likes what hears.
freeeeeee
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

I don't hate minus. But they do have a few releases that are just ok but the become anthems. out of the regulars on minus Heartthob is the only one who really inspires me.
Der geile Ami
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Der geile Ami »

I think worrying about whether minus tracks become anthems for other people is like fretting over tiestos crowds or how many kids are following some boy band.
freeeeeee
pizzamon
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by pizzamon »

That R U O.K. is crap. Glamorizing the drug lifestyle to sell records to little kids. It's all about making a buck. Yet, I see they have already pumped out the remixes to squeeze every penny out of it. Sure to be a big seller.
TiEZ
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by TiEZ »

that is the way how nerds hate. it happens in every genre like like jazz, rap, ...
trensp
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by trensp »

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Jeff's "pro-environment" argument against vinyl... pretty interesting