Music overdose

- open
soapz
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by soapz »

This topic has made me realise I couldn't imagine not buying music via the internet now. The record shops near to me, you can only listen to 10 records at one time. Theres always a queue for the two turntables and the staff are really arsy if you dont happen to buy at least one of the ten records after your turn. This forces you to have to pick 'safe' records that you know the label etc. Thats no way to shop for music!
aut.t.n
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by aut.t.n »

On the one hand I scan through online stores quite frequently, trying to listen to everything without any prejustice, so I can get new inspirations. On the other hand I very much rely on record shops as a prefilter. I look at shop charts (not necessarily sales charts), check out what is described as an interesting record. Some might say that way I will adapt my style to someone else's preferences. Maybe, but that something is a "tip" or similar does not necessarily mean I purchase it. I just see that in classic record stores there are people dealing with music for a long time and doing it as a fulltime job. Therefore I can expect some expert knowledge there. That's also why I stick to record stores which have a long history, which have some kind of profile in there selection that fits my interests or my own philosophy of music. The big online stores like decks.de and so on are just business models in my point of view, they lack exactly that specific profile.
Ah yes, and I like the "Other people also bought" function of some online shops... Always find some very interesting backstock stuff that way.
Also use apanell's strategy from time to time.
fl0w
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by fl0w »

I just don't care about missing something big.

I get random artist names here or there (mostly from this forum ;) ) then randomly try to listen to some of their releases...

Most of what the tracks I listen to are not that exciting but here or there I find gems!

I'm not running after "mouth to mouth" or "the sky was pink", everybody know these tracks and, as a bedroom DJ :-s I have no crowd to please.

Of course, this process quickly becomes biased. I love Minilogue so I'll spend some energy looking for their records, same for Trapez stuff etc. The trick is to be able to lose interest in something you like to avoid crippling your critical sense...
:.: : :: : :.: .:. :.
TiEZ
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by TiEZ »

i have 0 myspace friends
whatever
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by whatever »

i stopped watching new music long time ago. my interest is almost totally on the old stuf. i'm sure i'm missing some goodies, but old records are the most important thing to me right now.
BOKAL RECORDS
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by BOKAL RECORDS »

i'm more into sound then into tracks. When i play a set somewhere for me its more important the entire set sounds like a big block of coherent sound.

So a first and fast selection is based on how kicks, snares, claps , basslines sound, not how they are programmed. i can do easyly 100 tracks like this in an hour and be left with like 10 tracks that sound good to me.

Than when this first selection is done, i narrow it down again by listening carefully the full lengt to determine the programmation, structure, and so on, about 2 tracks are left now.

I do this nearly every day (for about 2 hours, 1 fast, 1 detailed) and in the end of the week i'm left with about 15 trax i like and buy.

Yep, i gues i check abouth 700 trax a week, 500 of them are crap, copies, boring, ... 185 of them are not bad but not realy convincing neither (usually these are the trax byall the big names and labels. The 15 i buy are mostly newcomers in the scene who are not copying the big names and labels cause they stop to innovate as soon they become famous for a certain sound..
pizzamon
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by pizzamon »

Know what you are looking for.
pizzamon
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by pizzamon »

Know what you are looking for.