Post by gmschroeder »

New Guy wrote:Perhaps, modesty.
No egos in minimal techno.

Really.
Robot Criminal
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Robot Criminal »

Alphajuno wrote:Discovering complexity from simplicity.
nice1 8)
Image we are all atomic and subatomic particles and we are all wireless...
tzusing
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by tzusing »

these terms such as minimal are usually not created by artist...but rather by critics to be able to write about music and make sense of a type of aesthetics that a group of artist share. and also for music stores to be able to categorize their cds.
most of the original minimalist of the 60's won't even call themselves minimalist...and some of them really hate that label. (like most of these "minimal techno" artist)

I believe the term minimal isl open to interpretation as it has come to mean something very different from the minimalism of the 60's to the cold wave/minimal wave of the early 80's to the minimal techno of the 90's to what we have now.

the birth of minimalism?
a bird singing. that is some minimal sh!t. and when humans came around it involved howling at the moon and drumming with chicken bones. ok i'm being silly... but yes i believe minimalism has been with us since the birth of music.
Farabee
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Farabee »

gmschroeder wrote:
No egos in minimal techno.

Really.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Anyways, minimal is slang for "pretentious bullshit".
532nm
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by 532nm »

comparing minimal techno to other minimal movements, is kinda silly anyway. the fact is, 10 foot speakers pumping out 50,000 watts of bass, to thousands of hedonistic ravers all night and day is hardly minimal.

'minimal techno' is kind of an oxymoron if you ask me.

example...

minimal - smallest in amount or degree, ie barely there.

techno - extremely loud electronic dance music featuring bone rattling bass.

dont get me wrong i love minimal techno, it's just kind of funny that it got that name, and that we try to compare it to other minimal movements.
MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE »

Minimal = stripped back, underground dance music...

Thats it!

Lets not over complicate things..... :wink:
Android
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Android »

wabi sabi : 侘 寂

The aesthetic is sometimes described as one of beauty that is "imperfect, impermanent, and incomplete"

"It nurtures all that is authentic by acknowledging three simple realities: nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect."

Wabi now connotes rustic simplicity, freshness or quietness, and can be applied to both natural and human-made objects, or understated elegance. It can also refer to quirks and anomalies arising from the process of construction, which add uniqueness and elegance to the object. Sabi is beauty or serenity that comes with age, when the life of the object and its impermanence are evidenced in its patina and wear, or in any visible repairs.

Wabi and sabi both suggest sentiments of desolation and solitude, these may be viewed as positive characteristics, representing liberation from a material world and transcendence to a simpler life.

8)
tzusing
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by tzusing »

532nm wrote:comparing minimal techno to other minimal movements, is kinda silly anyway. the fact is, 10 foot speakers pumping out 50,000 watts of bass, to thousands of hedonistic ravers all night and day is hardly minimal.

'minimal techno' is kind of an oxymoron if you ask me.

example...

minimal - smallest in amount or degree, ie barely there.

techno - extremely loud electronic dance music featuring bone rattling bass.

dont get me wrong i love minimal techno, it's just kind of funny that it got that name, and that we try to compare it to other minimal movements.
listen to steve riech - come out and then listen to dan bell - losing control.

you can't tell me minimalism from the 1960's didn't somehow contribute some ideas for the music now.

and it was the minimal arts and music moment of the 60's that that word even entered our lexicon as a way to describe an aesthetic.

but at that time it did mean something different. it meant repetitive, slow gradual change. so in that sense you can define most all electronic music (loop based) as minimal.

btw i find it strange that not more people want to explore and share ideas on this topic. this is a FORUM. and this is MNML.nl.