how technological is techno?

- ask away
s.k.
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by s.k. »

and ok, i agree it was innovative back in the day to sample 60's ska/dub to make hiphop, or to sample house and make hard-techno out of it, or ____you name any other variation where you sample one style to make another___.

but sooner or later things come to a point where theres not many styles left unsampled, and those variations come to an end. then eventually someone has to invent a new sound. this is innovation in my book. if you feel different about it im fine with that, to each his own...

that said, techno was very technological. and where is it today?
JCH
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by JCH »

s.k. wrote:
Alphajuno wrote:
s.k. wrote:anything sample-based will never be cutting edge/innovative.
Why this attitude?
its not an attitude, its the truth and history shows it over and over. a particular type of sound becomes hip, samplists jump on the wagon and start flooding the market with it until it gets boring. then a few forward thinking sound-designers develop a new ground which eventually becomes a trend. then samplists............ repeat till infinity.
By your definition, you would also be among the "samplists". Techno can be as advanced as you make it.
thom
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by thom »

What language is being spoken here?
codecks
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by codecks »

s.k. wrote:that said, techno was very technological. and where is it today?
Can u develop this please ?
minimal my ass !
tzusing
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by tzusing »

s.k. wrote:
Alphajuno wrote:
s.k. wrote:anything sample-based will never be cutting edge/innovative.
Why this attitude?
its not an attitude, its the truth and history shows it over and over. a particular type of sound becomes hip, samplists jump on the wagon and start flooding the market with it until it gets boring. then a few forward thinking sound-designers develop a new ground which eventually becomes a trend. then samplists............ repeat till infinity.
i think you are using "samplists" when you really mean copycats. sampling is just a technique.

these forward thinking sound-designers that you speak of are probly using samplers.
s.k.
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by s.k. »

right, maybe im not expressing myself properly. but if i try to explain what i mean it could occupy pages... and what i think is not nessessarily right, its just my opinion.

p.s. ofcourse a sound designer uses a sampler too. its what he loads it with.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

tzusing wrote:i think you are using "samplists" when you really mean copycats. sampling is just a technique.
exactly.
we've got a vast array of tools at our disposal, its what you do with them that counts.
some people are so heavily influenced by certain musicians or styles, that they are barely being creative at all. i was the same when i played guitar when i was younger, i was so into jimi hendrix that all i wanted to do was learn his techniques and practiced for hours every day trying to get his sound.
at some point in my teens my creative side kicked in, and then all i wanted to do was something new and fresh.
of course techno is technological, but only a few people are capable of really pushing the envelope, so when a new musical style appears, whether it be drum and bass, techno or whatever, the people who have the propensity and energy for it appear as well and much of the developement happens in the early stages.
it takes new technological developements to come along to propel the style forward again. it happens in peaks and troughs, after the peaks you get the copyists appearing and the style goes stale for a while.
techno has gone through many of these stages, but so have all forms of music, musical instruments are technological !
well thats how it appears to me.
Storlon
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Storlon »

I just love sampling the forest next to my house, tons of new sounds. :wink:

People like Amon Tobin that use samples from old reccords and mangle them to a whole new territory are tottaly credible to my hears. :D