fl mastering problems

- ask away
cebec
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by cebec »

Measax wrote:JUST MAKE SURE THE KIK ISN'T TOO KNOCKY AND MAKE SURE YOU DON'T HAVE A BUNCH OF CLUTTER IN THE 200-800...THE REST CAN BE FIXED WITH GOOD EQING AND SOME GOOD MASTERING PLUGINS.
dude, why are you shouting?

Look here:

http://www.izotope.com/products/audio/ozone/guides.html

See the first guide on that page.
Martian Telecom
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Martian Telecom »

everyone is right about getting a mix correct before you finish a track.

My advice is to get a decent sound card and some kind of external recorder. I came up on hardware and I started using fruityloops a few years back. I really like the interface of that program, but I always had an issue with the sound engine. It always sounded tinny to me, even with the help of Waves EQ plug ins. A bit later I was able to afford a hardware recorder and I stopped rendering my songs. This really helped enhance the sound quality of my recordings.

I also switched to Live and this helped my sound a great deal. So you might want to try another program sometime in the future.
532nm
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by 532nm »

Martian Telecom wrote: I started using fruityloops a few years back. I really like the interface of that program, but I always had an issue with the sound engine. It always sounded tinny to me
make sure you set the render options to '32bit' & '512-point sinc'
Ingemar
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Ingemar »

yer, me and fl don't go along smoothly when it comes to mastering. But as already said, mastering won't help at all if you've got a crappy mixdown. Doing a track and just thinking "I'll do the technical stuff in the end" will give you big problems, mind the technical aspect of producing from the very beginning of a project and you won't have to worry much about mastering at all. Personally I never use anything else than a -3~5 compressor and an analyser on the master channel.
Sebastien Gabriel
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Sebastien Gabriel »

All mastering does is make something louder. It isn't a magic tool that will transform sh!t to a bar of gold.

Your problem is your mixdown and overall mixing of the sequenced tracks not the final step in the process.

The sole saying is: Don't polish a turd and try making it into something it's not.