live pa setup

- ask away
sorgenkind
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by sorgenkind »

sorry to jump in, better use live as the master, mainly for 2 reasons:

1. it really sound better when it's master than when it's slave, or at least in my studio to my ears

2. live midi clock is bitchy, I have waaaay better results sending the midi clock from live to the mpc than the other way round. I was surprised when I noticed it, since I too had the mpc acting as midi master
Ruso
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Ruso »

either way eventually you will get bored of the EMX sounds... ;) use it as a sequencer for live and use live as a sound module... ;) or better yet use live for everything simply because you will be able to transition between songs really smoothly. trust me I started what you do now what it sucks ass compared to using it as an advanced midi controller.

as for delay issues, run through asio drivers... set buffer to just low enough where there's not much delay but just high enough so all the crackles go away.

the problem with having a mixer is the fact that if you do use ableton for sound you will run into the exact same delay because of not using asio or poor asio sound card. you can actually get a very very low delay which is barelly noticible and the best part is that when you hit play on the tribe live will do so instantly, kinda like tribe to tribe.
revy
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by revy »

i agree a bit about the live clock being bitchy and better master, but unfortunately i cant get the electribe to play loops unless its set as the master midi clock. ive only noticed if i change tempo on the emx, live's running loops take a second to catch up in speed sounding a bit like a turntable actually. (interesting effect at times, gotta love planned accidents)

as for using emx1 as a midi controller, there are couple things holding me back...
again my laptop is low on ram so running multiple instruments/plugins in live gets really sluggish, which turns any possible creativity into frustration...
someday a new cpu will fix this i know, but for now id like to use the emx1 to take a load off and increase performance and use more basic fx on my inputs. my uc33 works fine for whatever other mixing controls im needing (really wish it had at least one endless dial tho)

and some of the knobs/buttons and the dial wheel are not midi mappable at the moment...ruso i saw your midi tribe utility which looks very nice but im running a mac and not quite sure how to set that kind of thing up, will start researching though once i do get sick of those sounds...my style is generally pretty bleepy lofi stuff so its tiding me over quite well for now...

thanks for the tip on the buffer i will try that out today :)
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

Hey Ruso what audio interface are you running on your laptop with live?

i'm looking into getting a new soundcard. I'm having trouble with running VST's when i switch presets in live I hear a click and this doesn't happen when i use my internal laptop card. and I want to create a live setup that involves using more live instruments.

whats your latency? mmm... yeh tell me a bit more about your setup. I'm just having tons of trouble with live atm and i'm trying to figure out if its my echo i/o, or my lenovo t60 laptop.

Cheers,
Jeff
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
4am
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by 4am »

sorgenkind wrote:sorry to jump in, better use live as the master, mainly for 2 reasons:

1. it really sound better when it's master than when it's slave, or at least in my studio to my ears

2. live midi clock is bitchy, I have waaaay better results sending the midi clock from live to the mpc than the other way round. I was surprised when I noticed it, since I too had the mpc acting as midi master
sorry for your ears ... but i can't use live as master, the mx goes out of sync after a while :?
never had problems using the mx as master... so for me it is quite simple
Sneaky
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Sneaky »

Ive used my motu ultralite with others that have come over and hooked up their hardware and im running ableton on my box as the master midi clock and it worked beautifully.
s.k.
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by s.k. »

4am wrote:
sorgenkind wrote:sorry to jump in, better use live as the master, mainly for 2 reasons:

sorry for your ears ... but i can't use live as master, the mx goes out of sync after a while :?
4am, i guess this is happening because you are running Live in song mode and the emx in pattern. from my experience, you have to have both in either song, or loop(pattern) mode.
4am
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by 4am »

s.k. wrote:
4am wrote:

4am, i guess this is happening because you are running Live in song mode and the emx in pattern. from my experience, you have to have both in either song, or loop(pattern) mode.
what do you mean by: live in song mode? you mean arrangement view?