Tuning Drums

- ask away
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

532nm wrote:
Zoiberg wrote: True!! I'd like to see some innovative midi controllers, I'm quite bored with common keyboards
right! i thought about a metric scale,(no black keys) where every tenth note is an octave. i'm still not sure about the tuning of the notes in between. i suppose i should make them all 1/10th of an octave, that might have some intresting effect.
sorry this is a bit off topic. but i do the same sort of thing with beat divisions, in the tune i'm working on at the moment, i divided the beat into 5 divisions, but applied a rough 1/16th type shuffle, then moved the notes around till the groove sounded right, deleting certain notes that seemed to be unnecessary for the groove. what i ended up with was a groove template with notes in very unusual places, but it sounds right, and is very funky. ( hard for DJs to mix though, unless you give them a straight intro/outro )
skept
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by skept »

steevio wrote:sorry this is a bit off topic. but i do the same sort of thing with beat divisions, in the tune i'm working on at the moment, i divided the beat into 5 divisions, but applied a rough 1/16th type shuffle, then moved the notes around till the groove sounded right, deleting certain notes that seemed to be unnecessary for the groove. what i ended up with was a groove template with notes in very unusual places, but it sounds right, and is very funky. ( hard for DJs to mix though, unless you give them a straight intro/outro )
by beat divisions do you mean the top number of the time signature?
Android
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Android »

I'm glad many of you are very experimental with beats 8)
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

skept wrote: by beat divisions do you mean the top number of the time signature?
mmm, no not in this case, i was writing in 4/4 time ( 4 beats per measure(bar)) but sub dividing each beat into 5, so i suppose its a compound time signature, i think we need a music theorist (which i'm not) to tell us.
i dont think i explained it very well, its difficult. its probaly not useful to think in terms of time siganture. because i deleted some notes, theres different numbers of notes in each beat, and the subdivisions and note lengths are unequal even within one beat. ( the first half of a beat might be divided into 2 and the second half 3, and then vice versa in the next beat, ) oh man why did i ever mention this ? :lol:
Last edited by steevio on Thu Mar 29, 2007 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
skept
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by skept »

steevio wrote:
skept wrote: by beat divisions do you mean the top number of the time signature?
mmm, no not in this case, i was writing in 4/4 time ( 4 beats per measure(bar)) but sub dividing each beat into 5, so i suppose its a compound time signature, i think we need a music theorist (which i'm not) to tell us.
ok i thought you were describing something similar to what i have been doing lately which is taking track with a 3/4 time sig but making the kick thump at 4 even beats. i think this is how the "shuffle" songs are made correct?
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

skept wrote:
steevio wrote:
ok i thought you were describing something similar to what i have been doing lately which is taking track with a 3/4 time sig but making the kick thump at 4 even beats. i think this is how the "shuffle" songs are made correct?
we crossed messages there, i edited my previous post in a poor attempt to explain, see above.
what youre doing is 'cross rhythm' running two time signatures similtaneously. i use cross rhythms and polyrhythms in all my tunes, sometimes 4 or 5 at once, 2/3, 3/4, 5/4 6/8 7/8 etc. there was a whole post about polyrhythms on here a few months back.
i'm not sure what you mean by 'shuffle' songs, i only understand shuffle in terms of cyclically delaying notes to create movement.
Audio Dependent
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Audio Dependent »

if you wanna get your drum/percusive noises in tune, make them with a synth rather than samples. then you got total control over pitch, semi tones and fine tunning.
Silky
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Silky »

skept wrote:
steevio wrote:
Do you mean the type of shuffle effect beyer gets in his tracks? I find writing in triplets allows me to get a kind of rolling shuffle effect