Do you ever record by hand?

- ask away
532nm
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by 532nm »

akaie wrote: Question: Has anyone tried to use a midi keyboard to do drum programming? does it work? Is there a huge difference from using drum pads?
drum pads are way better. you cant tap out fast notes (16th/32nd) using one key of a keyboard.

i think recording live is a great way to put a funky, old school feel into your tracks. sometimes i'll have a friend come over and record him live fiddleing with a sequenced monosynth while i try out differnt mutes and patterns of drums. then you can always chop it up later, add fx .etc etc.
Torque
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Torque »

I havn't drawn or quantised a note in ages now. Playing it is half the fun of doing it. It's worth the extra effort just to know you played it yourself. The only thing i might sometimes program is a 303.
akaie
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by akaie »

I was wondering how people used to do it in the past thought. I guess that most of the older techno tracks were written with some sort of step sequencer so hard quantization was the only option, or maybe not? On the other hand I ve read about analog sequencers being inaccurate introducing a live feel but thats more like machine groove rather than human groove
digital19
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by digital19 »

I think both work. Step sequencing is great to quickly get an idea down. I like the Guru Vsti for that (or Reason)

I am a guitar player and really enjoy my iguitar. Everything I write on keyboard tends to be in the same key (or all the black keys). On the midi guitar I'm just a little more comfortable breaking out of that for some reason.
aallvor
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by aallvor »

akaie wrote:I was wondering how people used to do it in the past thought. I guess that most of the older techno tracks were written with some sort of step sequencer so hard quantization was the only option, or maybe not?
Many used the 909 to trigger other synths, then recorded to tape. I think Juan Atkins worked this way in the early '80ies.
532nm
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by 532nm »

akaie wrote:I was wondering how people used to do it in the past thought. I guess that most of the older techno tracks were written with some sort of step sequencer so hard quantization was the only option, or maybe not? On the other hand I ve read about analog sequencers being inaccurate introducing a live feel but thats more like machine groove rather than human groove
a lot of the old drum machines and sequencers, have great swing and can slightly randomize hits (r8 for example)

plus they used tape to midi sync boxes and most likely 4-8 track recorders

the heart of early techno wasnt really about achieving a human feeling anyway. it was machine rhythms they used to seperate their sound from disco.
trak660
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by trak660 »

532nm wrote:
a lot of the old drum machines and sequencers, have great swing and can slightly randomize hits (r8 for example)

I have one of these "human rhythm composers." It's an R-5, but it humanizes in the same way.
They are very nice drum machines, but I prefer to be the human when I need a more natural sound. :wink:
plaster
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by plaster »

always by hand, except the drum part and the bassline.
Drop the idea of becoming someone else, because you are already a masterpiece.