field recording

- ask away
adam
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by adam »

cyhl wrote:adam, can you turn that feature (auto gain) off? or is it always on by default?

daniel, I dunno that model... I have a pretty old model (sharp 977 something from 4-5 years ago), and to do what I do (field + gigs recordings) it's great, I really don't need all the newest features....... but I never use it to actually listen to music, or transfer music from my computer to the md.......
Yeah you can turn it off... I myself like some of the unique sounds from it though, so I have always left it on
plaster
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by plaster »

well,it's not an new model sylv,somwhere around 1996!
the market made it as the best MD recorded of it's branch,so i'm assuming that it would be nice to try it out,since sony does't develop it anymore!

how about mics...which ones do you use,binaural or the usual ones?
Drop the idea of becoming someone else, because you are already a masterpiece.
adam
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by adam »

plaster wrote:well,it's not an new model sylv,somwhere around 1996!
the market made it as the best MD recorded of it's branch,so i'm assuming that it would be nice to try it out,since sony does't develop it anymore!

how about mics...which ones do you use,binaural or the usual ones?
Experiment with any you have access to - My recordings range from $2.00 computer condenser mic all the way up to pro live mics...

Record with stereo pairs if you can... they sound so much better!
tzusing
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by tzusing »

i'm using the mz-r50 i bought when i was still in 8th grade...and thats like 7-8 years ago....my batt is super shot... and for the mic the sony ecm-ms907 and it works great...
the only down side is that digital mics don't work with inputs on my echo gina... =(

my biggest problem with recording sounds is isolating them and dealing with the wind. i use wave editors to take out unwanted sounds but sometimes it makes the sound i'm trying to keep sound very wimpy...any tips?
plaster
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by plaster »

i think there is only one tip...stay aways from the windy parts.
Drop the idea of becoming someone else, because you are already a masterpiece.
RussC
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by RussC »

:!: or get a nice wind shield for the mic capsule, these can severly cut down on the amount of wind noise,
mlexicon
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by mlexicon »

i sometimes leave the recorder on in the living room when i got peeps over....

ppl say the darndest things
eklar
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by eklar »

so far i haven't had an option but to use CHEAP stuff, but i've really enjoyed the results; i always like tape, so even using a crappy minitape recorder has produced some interesting stuff and you don't have to worry too much about dropping it.
The other thing i was able to get my hands on was cheap mp3 thing that recorded to wav. It had no auto-gain feature which sucked sometimes as it distorted very easily, but i got a whole bunch of bus sounds that were completely distorted and crunchy and perfectly suited for some noise stuff that i'm into.

the less i need to carry around, the better. i don't really want to have to point a mic around.