The Big Guns!

- ask away
digitalbunny
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by digitalbunny »

Gareth_T wrote:
Torque wrote:I don't think anybody here can answer that question because all the big cats i know never tell anybody what they use so they can protect thier sound and the ones that do take you to the studio make you swear to secrecy.
Yeah, thinking of it I asked a stupid question. :oops:
I don't think its a stupid question at all.
I don't really subscribe to that whole "let's keep this secret so we can be the uber-producers of this week" thing. I believe things would be interesting if people were more open with equipment and techniques used. other people trying with the same equipment/technique will never sound exactly the same and this can only lead to wider creativity and further appreciation.

I love the idea of including the loops/individual tracks/sounds with a release... Like the miniscule label does at the moment. It allows anyone that wants to put their own interpretation of a track to do so. Rock on :D
skept
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by skept »

Torque wrote:I don't think anybody here can answer that question because all the big cats i know never tell anybody what they use so they can protect thier sound and the ones that do take you to the studio make you swear to secrecy.
it is absurd that people act like this. biters can bite an idea but the one thing they can never bite is innovation so let them do what you did yesterday for the rest of their lives if they want.
Measax
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Measax »

maybe some of them do that but if you see any body do a live pa with hardware, well, you kinda know what they use...at least a little. Plus, read any music mag and you will see all kinds of articals and photos with the "big guns." They just say what they use half the time. I mean, I watched a future music video not long ago where nightmares on wax walked you through his studio. He showed and talked about every piece of gear in there. 808, mpcs, his board, logic, distressors, adats, random samplers, etc. Who cares anyway. Its just like all the cats who see a video of a "big gun" playing a record and they gotta know what it is so they can go buy it and play it down at the local pub. If I hear someone else play a record it kinda makes me not wanna play it, personally. Same with gear. Mastering tools are one thing but everybody has the same gear. Gotta have an sh101 and a 909 and a machine drum...it is sad to say but I dumped a machine drum because it sounded too much like minus and as much as I love some of those tunes, i'd rather be an original nobody than a big gun copy cat....but I have to admit, when the panytech pictures were posted from last years demf, man! I was zooming in and thinking, now how in the hell did they make that crazy ass bass with an emx and esx? or was it the elektron? or maybe they had something off the laptop going and drums from there....hmmmm....point is, we all have our gods, just don't get so caught up in it that you spend more time worring about gear and less time making sweet musical love!
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: The Big Guns!

Post by steevio »

Gareth_T wrote:Anybody have a clue or know what the big guns use for there ideas, music making and mastering... Which programs they use and at which stage?

Just wondering..
Would be interesting to know..
i think out of all musical forms, minimal music is the one where it really doesnt matter at all what you use. i mean, its not like a top violinist needing a stradovarius, or a London Acid Techno guy needing a TB303.
its a blank canvass mate, its about how you compose your tunes, and how you inject soul into your project. it doesnt matter whether you use old analogue gear, or just Reason, or mike up and sample your kitchen utensils, if you were born to be a musician, you will make real music.
who are these big guns anyway ?? they are only big guns to whoever likes their music. i dont have a single Minus or Trentemoller record in my bag, the real stuff is underground !