ableton!! Whats wrong with it.

- ask away
BobStock
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by BobStock »

steevio wrote:i work 100% hardware, and i find exactly the same problem mate.
ableton destroys all the warmth and crispness of my analogue recordings, and makes them sound harsh, grainy, the mids muddy and and the top metallic
i record to 2 trackDAT. ok its digital, but it sounds lightyears better than recording into ableton. it also means i have to be really on the case in a live way, because i cant remix seperate tracks later, but i think thats a nice thing.
i suppose it depends on what you are going to do with your recordings.
i'm currently looking for a quality reel to reel tape machine to keep my sound 100% analogue, then i can take the reel to the cutting room. i've got a good quality soundcard, so i can also get it into my computer on soundforge for mp3's and CD's etc.
however ableton is great in a live situation for mixing, but i'm always
aware of how it degrades my sound, and how rough it sounds next to the DJs using vinyl.
i dont understand how more people have'nt noticed this.
Btw, a good sample machine, like a mpc 2500 will be a good solution!!!
Record it there, and get it back in ableton! Still the sound issue, but less then recording in ableton (I hope).
Robot Criminal
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Re: ableton!! Whats wrong with it.

Post by Robot Criminal »

BobStock wrote:He guys.

I try to work with so much hardware as I can. The problem I have now, is recording. I recorded with ableton several loops, sounds good in the programm....but when I did render to disk the sounds really sounds muffy and crap.

Anyone got the same issue?
Or somebody know what I can do?

thx,

Bob
don't, I say do not render to disc. Use the resampling function instead.
Image we are all atomic and subatomic particles and we are all wireless...
BobStock
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by BobStock »

He robot Criminal!

Thx! I also will try that out!

Cheers,

Bob
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

Robot why do you mention rendering to disk? I've heard you mention this several times. why?
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
aallvor
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by aallvor »

kujoma wrote:well i hope ableton will notice this and maybe come up with a better audio engine in the next update.
These things have been discussed for like 2-3 years now, and it won't happen. Ableton have basically said 'there are no problems regarding the audio engine'...
djreagen
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by djreagen »

aallvor wrote:
kujoma wrote:well i hope ableton will notice this and maybe come up with a better audio engine in the next update.
These things have been discussed for like 2-3 years now, and it won't happen. Ableton have basically said 'there are no problems regarding the audio engine'...
but how can they say that? still when you compare a crystal clear track playing in winamp and in ableton, in ableton the sound is different..

edit: maybe this is a little of topic since its not about rendering
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

just to clarify something,
i record most of my tracks at a few different tempos, usually 126, 128, 130
so when i mix my tunes in ableton i dont normally use any warping, ( i do my sets/ mixes with just two changes of tempo in the set, so only a couple of tunes need to be warped ) warping really does mess the sound up if you go too far, but i can hear the degradation playing the wavs straight out the box.
maybe if you've only ever worked in ableton, you would never notice, but when you put pristine analogue recordings into it, its really obvious.
my friends have noticed it to.
i'm not going to give ableton a hard time, its a very useful program, but if youre a beginner you should be aware that its not the only software around for making music.
BobStock
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by BobStock »

No ableton is a nice piece of software! I will look around for some new software, and look what it does when I record. I already sended a support mail tot ableton.

They say:

Hello,

Did you make sure that Warp is OFF for the files you are recording? Or
at least, that the 'original tempo' of the clips is close to the set's
tempo?

If warp is ON and working too hard on your material, then there will be
artifacts, the best is to turn it OFF if you don't need to time-stretch
the material. Live sometimes guesses wrong the original tempo, thus
involves much time-stretching.

Kind regards