Unreleased music being shared - politics

- wax
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

Cleetus_Van_Damme wrote:this is what is killing d+b, its simple economics.

Bedroom producers = cottage industry. Nil returns, even if/when track is signed.

Bedroom producer gives tune to mate to listen to - mate sticks tune up on a p2p sharer.

People grab track, go on forums, go 'im producer xyz's biggest fan' (but im not going to buy their trax, i just got it for free).

Producer xyz when producing now holds tunes back exclusively for them, meaning their is 0 chance of it hitting the market, thus keeping them in nil returns.

The amount of times I have played out and have seen dj's called out/thrown off the decks for playing dodgy cd's of tracks they have no right to own is unbelievable!!!

I'm not 100% sure I understand you correct, but do you mean that DJ's have been stopped from playing because they were playing CD's?
Sounds crazy IMO.
Cleetus_Van_Damme wrote: I just play safe, I sold my CD deck, I had very little use for it anyway. My house is strictly vinyl only!
Cleetus_Van_Damme wrote: If its on vinyl, its official, your harming nobody, end of!
What about bootlegs? They aren't official.
Cleetus_Van_Damme
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Cleetus_Van_Damme »

patrick bateman wrote:

Bedroom producers = cottage industry. Nil returns, even if/when track is signed.

Bedroom producer gives tune to mate to listen to - mate sticks tune up on a p2p sharer.

People grab track, go on forums, go 'im producer xyz's biggest fan' (but im not going to buy their trax, i just got it for free).

Producer xyz when producing now holds tunes back exclusively for them, meaning their is 0 chance of it hitting the market, thus keeping them in nil returns.

The amount of times I have played out and have seen dj's called out/thrown off the decks for playing dodgy cd's of tracks they have no right to own is unbelievable!!!

I'm not 100% sure I understand you correct, but do you mean that DJ's have been stopped from playing because they were playing CD's?
Sounds crazy IMO.
Cleetus_Van_Damme wrote: I just play safe, I sold my CD deck, I had very little use for it anyway. My house is strictly vinyl only!
Cleetus_Van_Damme wrote: If its on vinyl, its official, your harming nobody, end of!
As in, a young unknown dj has been booked to play a club, he shops up with vinyl and a bag of CD's. Plays a few known tracks then sticks in a track nobody has heard before, promoter goes over, sees it is on some cd-r, dj has no story about how he got it, then says it was taken off of a p2p sharer, the tune hadnt even been released!

with regard to bootlegs, the frequency of them being released on vinyl is on the wane, but agree with your point, bootys are dodgy!
prenzlauer
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by prenzlauer »

Cleetus_Van_Damme wrote:
patrick bateman wrote:

Sounds crazy IMO.
As in, a young unknown dj has been booked to play a club, he shops up with vinyl and a bag of CD's. Plays a few known tracks then sticks in a track nobody has heard before, promoter goes over, sees it is on some cd-r, dj has no story about how he got it, then says it was taken off of a p2p sharer, the tune hadnt even been released!

with regard to bootlegs, the frequency of them being released on vinyl is on the wane, but agree with your point, bootys are dodgy!
Thank god I don't live in a dictatorship!
Cleetus_Van_Damme
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

I can only go on what I know, the d+b scene is a bit of a dictatorship. What is the 'minimal' scene view on this case then? My comments were in complete agreement with Pheek's original comments. In a minimal event, if i turned up with a bag of cd's that i had ripped off of slsk and begun playing them, would nothing be done about it?
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

I agree that it's no good to play stuff that was downloaded illegal, BUT the way the promoter works seems WAY OFF!! Damn.

Promoter "that track you're playing, I don't know, and it's on CD. Could you please show me the invoice so I can see that you have bought it at Beatport"

:shock: :shock:
Cleetus_Van_Damme
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

patrick bateman wrote:

I agree that it's no good to play stuff that was downloaded illegal, BUT the way the promoter works seems WAY OFF!! Damn.

Promoter "that track you're playing, I don't know, and it's on CD. Could you please show me the invoice so I can see that you have bought it at Beatport"

As said, im only going on what ive seen, im not the police, promoters can do what they want i suppose, its their night.
prenzlauer
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by prenzlauer »

Cleetus_Van_Damme wrote:
patrick bateman wrote:

As said, im only going on what ive seen, im not the police, promoters can do what they want i suppose, its their night.
Sure. I'm just saying - I would be outraged if a promotor started spying on my cd's asking if I got them legally or not. That would be way out of line imo.
dncn
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by dncn »

id whup his bitch ass