Producer Timbaland steals song from finnish musician

- open
skept
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by skept »

mlexicon wrote:i consider sampling a much harsher musical crime
you consider sampling a harsh musical crime? seems like much of electronic music, specifically hip hop, was built on sampling. so you would not sample in your own work? would you look down upon another for sampling? please explain. maybe i am misunderstanding you.
no_pressure
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by no_pressure »

skept wrote:
you consider sampling a harsh musical crime? seems like much of electronic music, specifically hip hop, was built on sampling. so you would not sample in your own work? would you look down upon another for sampling? please explain. maybe i am misunderstanding you.
i agree. sampling is fun sometimes - like using movie vocal samples and tweaking them to your mood. sometimes i use samples to create a certain feel, or sometimes i will start with a sample then rework it (sometimes until it's unrecognizable from the original loop) until i get the exact sound that i want. i don't have a musical background, really, so anything having to do with knowledge of music theory is out the window for me, but i still want to hear what i want to hear, and i don't produce for anyone but myself... and if no one has made that combination yet, why shouldn't i be able to?
Last edited by no_pressure on Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"a 1971 psycho skin flick with a crazy sitar-funk soundtrack. to me that says: win." - rob theakston
Celltek
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Celltek »

skept wrote:
If you sample give credit where its due..
trak660
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by trak660 »

Timbaland's whole style revolves around ripping off ideas from good dance music. It wouldn't shock me if he had a "team" of people keeping an eye on the techno world for him, looking for new ideas to steal. What a parasite!
Celltek
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Celltek »

trak660 wrote:Timbaland's whole style revolves around ripping off ideas from good dance music. It wouldn't shock me if he had a "team" of people keeping an eye on the techno world for him, looking for new ideas to steal. What a parasite!
I wouldn't say that because Timbaland and tag-teamer Missy Elliot were at the forefront of hip-hop production without boundaries..They have released obscure beats and sequences unheard of..
I still have alot of respect for his originality and productions style, because he was prolly the reason more alternative styles of hip-hop productions came to rise ie the Neptunes.

I just think that in this instance he should have given credits.. I havent read the cd sleeve to verify.
skept
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by skept »

Celltek wrote:I wouldn't say that because Timbaland and tag-teamer Missy Elliot were at the forefront of hip-hop production without boundaries..They have released obscure beats and sequences unheard of..
I still have alot of respect for his originality and productions style, because he was prolly the reason more alternative styles of hip-hop productions came to rise ie the Neptunes.

I just think that in this instance he should have given credits.. I havent read the cd sleeve to verify.
i don't agree that the neptunes are "alternative" style hip hop. it is pop. maybe alternative for the masses i guess.

i would say a producer like el-p would fit into what you are describing. or some off of the anticon label. but the neptunes is just mainstream music like the rest.
Celltek
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Celltek »

Maybe obscure is a bit of an overstatement regarding the Neptunes. I also agree they produce for mainstream artists, but so does Andre 3000, however if you listen to their earlier stuff before the fame you'll understand what im talking about.

Kelis's debut album (produced by Neptunes) may have been a commercial success but the point im trying to make is that it sounded like nothing i'd ever heard before. This is why i said obscure.. I dont mean to say they tried to re-define music or anything.
skept
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by skept »

Celltek wrote:however if you listen to their earlier stuff before the fame you'll understand what im talking about.
yeah i am not familiar with it so i shouldn't judge.