Going to start building a hardware studio.

- ask away
fl0w
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by fl0w »

credit_agro wrote:4. Whats a patchbay and why would I need one?
look at this one:
http://www.behringer.com/02_products/pr ... 0&lang=eng

cheap and OK.
credit_agro
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by credit_agro »

fl0w wrote:
credit_agro wrote:4. Whats a patchbay and why would I need one?
look at this one:
http://www.behringer.com/02_products/pr ... 0&lang=eng

cheap and OK.

Right, so this is just a central point for all cables and equipment to connect.

So as an example...
Lets say I have a synth connected directly to monitors.
I go out and buy a digital delay. Rather than connecting the synth into the delay and then delay > monitors. I just connect both to patchbay and swap or route cables. Have I the correct understanding?
fl0w
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by fl0w »

You got it.

A mixing desk usually offers some internal routing options for FX, but a patch becomes necessary if you have several FX, or many synths which exceed the number of voices in your mixing desk etc.

You may also find MIDI patch bays, like this one:
http://www.spacefold.com/colin/ps/gear/RolandA880.html

Handy because:
- some synths don't have a MIDI Thru plug so you can't chain anything behind them
- MIDI chains induce lag and the signal may become corrupted
credit_agro
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by credit_agro »

Ok, Cheers for that man. Now hopefully someone can help me out with the other Q's!?
nute
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by nute »

credit_agro wrote: 3. FX unit (what generally do you get with these? Is this
option better than seperate delay, distortion units etc.?
MarcAshken: Why not get hardware FX? Do you do your FX on a PC?)
Subjective answers to these questions depend on how you intend working. There are many ways of working but to use two examples -

1.Completely pre-arrange your tracks in midi and record the mixdown live to two tracks.
2.Multitrack your recording into your PC and then re-edit, arrange, add fx.

For option one you would probably need at least a reverb unit and more than likely some delays, compressors, etc.. depending on your style. Theres a glut of well useable affordable multi-fx units out these days from lexicon, tc, etc..

For option two you could get away with no outboard fx and use the fx in your audio arranger - ableton or whatever.
credit_agro wrote: 7. Computer or hardware sequencer? How much is a good hardware
sequencer?
Again, down to preference. The computer sequencer benefits from the visual aspect but can be let down by timing depending on your setup. Hardware sequencers are generally thought to have better timing and stability but less features. The Akai MPC series would be the most popular h/w sequencers, also Yamaha RS7000 is a nice machine. Personally i like the Sequentix P3.
credit_agro wrote: 8. Big question here. If I have for example 18 tracks
recorded for a tune and I want to sequence, would I not need
a sequencer with tons of knobs or how do you do this?
18 tracks of midi or audio?
For midi, most sequencers can handle that no probs....but remember, midi is a serial protocol so in a s/w midi sequencer youd need to put the timing-intensive tracks (drums usually) on the first few channels. Dont know why youd need loads of knobs unless you intend tweaking every parameter in real-time. Youve only got two hands! :)
credit_agro wrote: And then, if I want to mix down, equalise and stuff with hardware, what do I record the tracks onto to route through a mixing desk?
See my first answer.
credit_agro wrote: And finally, how will I manage automation?
Depends again on how your work-flow is. I presume your talking levels automation here. This can easily be handled in a s/w enviornment. For h/w automation youd need a digital desk.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

dont let the money thing put you off, you can make electronic music on a very small amount of kit.
ive got a Nord lead, Nord3 and a Virusb, and i'd agree with Mark Ashken, the virus is way more versatile, i've released tracks that were written entirely on the Virus and a lexicon mpx500 effects, although i still love the nords.
the machine drum is awesome to, it could be the heart of your studio.
i have an Alesis Andromeda, and again ive released tracks written entirely on that. now thats a machine that has almost limitless possibilities and its got a pure analogue signal path, but its alot to learn at once, be prepared for long hours with a manual.
make sure you get a decent sized desk (24 channel) with plenty of auxulliaries ( minimum 6) because although you might not need it all at first, as soon as your kit list starts to grow, you'll be glad you arent having to sell your old 16 ch.desk for peanuts and buying a bigger one. its a big outlay, but will save you in the long run.
the good thing about hardware is that you can start with very little and bulild it up as you go along.
if i was starting out now i would be going all analogue modular, and getting out of the digital domain altogether, but its expensive, and i wouldnt recommend it to someone with little experience.
midi sequencing is easy with Cubase, forget ableton !!

go machine drum / virus c, lexicon effects, soundcraft (or mackie)desk !!!
dsat
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by dsat »

the virus is a mean machine
i love it
buy it

crappy presets though... synth manufacturers prob think we're all gonna make hard trance or prog or cheesy crap
sorgenkind
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by sorgenkind »

dsat wrote:the virus is a mean machine
i love it
buy it

crappy presets though... synth manufacturers prob think we're all gonna make hard trance or prog or cheesy crap
quite typical in german synth like access and waldorf
I still was a schoolboy when I bought the waldorf microQ and after having listened to the presets I had the impression it was a trance synth... then once you learn how to program a synth you won't have such worries.
A hint: initialize/delete all the presets once you are a bit into synthesis, it's a nice way to push you to always come up with new sounds.
-->that's why I love old analog synth w/o presets.