- ask away
skept
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by skept »

steffensen wrote:
skept wrote:
steffensen wrote:eXT2. 8)
it's ext3 these days... unless you are talking about something completely different. then just ignore me.
energyXT 2 that is mate
haha i see!
Measax
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Measax »

skept wrote:
Measax wrote:my room mate uses a windows emulater. "wine" i think it is? runs the apps great from what i have seen (fl studio 6). I think it also depends on your linux setup.
if wine has come along way since i used it last then it would be a go i guess. but my question is why? why produce with linux? is there a benefit? if it is for pure geek enjoyment then fine. i understand that, i built my own openbsd routers for years even though easy commercial ones were available. i wouldn't think the cost of windows would be the issue if you can afford the cost of ableton either.

if there is a good reason to use linux to produce under then go for it. otherwise use the best tool for the job and save yourself some hassle.

let me add i am a complete advocate of FOSS and i feel wrong trying to talk you out using it but i just think that the best move would be to use windows or mac os and all the latest and greatest software as it was intended to run.
Honestly, I think my room mate does it for pure geek enjoyment. I know he likes some of the cool stuff in linux but i agree, it is a hassel. I like osx and use it mostly...i have a little project pc machine i use for some free vst apps etc...all you really need i think...however the linux server we have work better with our macs than it did when we had windows...but that has little if anything to do with production...
filthypitcher
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by filthypitcher »

MAX MSP?
credit_agro
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by credit_agro »

Hi there,

Dynebolic is a specific multimedia distro including a range of audio applications. Its a live cd but theres an option to install also.

Give it a whirl anyways,
http://www.dynebolic.org/

Bye!
focusShift
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by focusShift »

Well, not looking to get very serious with producing, more 'something to kill a few hours in my free time'. Who knows, I may end up getting serious in the future. But for the time being, my Linux box does 99.9% of what I want/need it to do in terms of my daily tasks, and while I could easily duel-boot into Windows, just seems like a hassle when everything else I'm doing can be done under Linux.

If I was to ever get 'serious' about producing, I'd probably end up buying a 2nd computer and having it geared towards the task, and probably would stick with OS X or Windows in that case.

as for now, thanks for the links - I'll give them a look when I get some free time later.
skept
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by skept »

focusShift wrote:while I could easily duel-boot into Windows, just seems like a hassle when everything else I'm doing can be done under Linux.
yeah dual booting is hell. and very unproductive.
focusShift wrote:If I was to ever get 'serious' about producing, I'd probably end up buying a 2nd computer and having it geared towards the task, and probably would stick with OS X or Windows in that case.
exactly what i do. old slow computer running openbsd for the internet. windows xp no where near the network for art.
credit_agro
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by credit_agro »

You could use virtual machine software to open a windows session in Linux. Works quite well actually, the technology has been perfected in recent times and will soon be mass market.