budget solution: active monitors. which are better?

- ask away
oe
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by oe »

what about more budget things
krk anybody?
Measax
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Measax »

oe wrote:what about more budget things
krk anybody?
I have the small 5" krks for my bedroom and they sound great. I also have some bx8s old and new. THe new bx8s sound a little better but you can't adjust them on the back which I liked on the old ones because you can change the output on certain freq., which is very usefull.
oe
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by oe »

Measax wrote: I have the small 5" krks for my bedroom and they sound great.
I have three questions:
do you use them for producing?
do they sound fair enough?
and what is their low boundary for freq. response?

I ask this mainly because the pair of krks is optimal budget-wise(for me), but i'm not sure whether they sound fair enough. People say that they lie on higher frequencies.

I plan a bedroom setup of a laptop+interface+couple of monitors. Got everything except for monitors right now.
sorgenkind
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by sorgenkind »

oe wrote:People say that they lie on higher frequencies.
that's the same thing I thought when listening to them along with mackie HR824, Genelec 80xx the big ones and adam p22.
Way too much colored in high frequencies for my taste, cartoonish in bass freqs.
See if you can afford the adam p11 with your budget, I fell in love with adam monitors
cyborgk
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by cyborgk »

I have quite shitty monitors, but I get around this by taking my tracks to friend's houses and double checking. Then testing on club systems when I get the chance.

Anyway, my theory is that if my mix works on 4 dif sets of speakers, it's usually good...

I desperately wish I could afford decent monitors though.
Measax
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Measax »

oe wrote:
Measax wrote: I have the small 5" krks for my bedroom and they sound great.
I have three questions:
do you use them for producing?
do they sound fair enough?
and what is their low boundary for freq. response?

I ask this mainly because the pair of krks is optimal budget-wise(for me), but i'm not sure whether they sound fair enough. People say that they lie on higher frequencies.

I plan a bedroom setup of a laptop+interface+couple of monitors. Got everything except for monitors right now.

i'd go with the krk 8s if you are just getting one set
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ ... sku=602314

the 5s go to 53 hz and the 8z hit 45. with 1000 bones you can get a sub and a pair of 8s with money left over...for nice studio headphones maybe

oh and i try and produce on every system available...doesn't matter what you use i don't think as long as it isn't hard on your ears and you know the translation well. Knowing how your monitors translate is a big part of it. I like using headphones. An engineer that I know (and this dude has done all kinds of work since the 70s) told me to mix in headphones to save my ears if possible. Final mixes on studio monitors and sometimes you gotta take the headphones off but until then I though headphones were bad for you turns out not and i even looked into this. so with the money you save get a nice pair of head phones. They save the ears because the decibal doesn't have to be as loud for you to still hear everything. I suggest ultrazone headphones (low end are about 250 usd but well worth it).
thom
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by thom »

oe wrote:@thom
s5 responds starting from 64 hz
would that be sufficient in your opinion?
Really? mmm... Now I wonder if he had a subwoofer...
i was told around 40hz is right for proper production

You could work with 64hz... I guess. However boxes that go a little deeper are more fun to compose bassy music with.
Mesax wrote:I suggest ultrazone headphones (low end are about 250 usd but well worth it).
I'll check that out.
oe
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by oe »

wow
now, that's lots of info , thanks very much, people!

on headphones
do you think one can monitor using monitoring headphones?
i dont really mind using headphoes instead of speakers if i can get good sound out of them. is that a viable alternative?

the only obvious problem that comes to my mind is (at least partial, but sensible) inability to make proper stereoimaging. on the otherhand, if the song is mixed well i can do the imaging on, say, a homestereo (can i?)

main question is: are headphoes a viable alternative to speakers (for monitoring)
?