Labels that sell direct

- open
pheek
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Labels that sell direct

Post by pheek »

gillsans wrote:Hey im looking for labels that sell their records direct from their website?

For example wavemusic and goosehound do.

Do you know any?
We're on the verge of selling mp3 through our site and you can place orders for records anytime! 8)
Renton
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Renton »

bpitch control sells directly from their site also
"I won't be in today, boss...I'm feeling a little mnml."
gillsans
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by gillsans »

Thanks guys :)

Its not such a strange question since most label websites don't advertise that they will sell their records direct. My guess is because getting a decent distributor is probably difficult and I'm sure they don't want a label selling direct and in turn taking sales away from them (distro) and the shops.

Ultimately, I feel that its the label that benefits from selling direct since they get all the cash. The hard part is infrastructure to sell online, shipping and inventory.

I'm sure if there was something I wanted bad enough I could email the label and see if they would sell it to me direct.

Thanks for the list guys.
Keepin' the beats deep in the groove bunker
pheek
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by pheek »

gillsans wrote:Thanks guys :)

Its not such a strange question since most label websites don't advertise that they will sell their records direct. My guess is because getting a decent distributor is probably difficult and I'm sure they don't want a label selling direct and in turn taking sales away from them (distro) and the shops.

Ultimately, I feel that its the label that benefits from selling direct since they get all the cash. The hard part is infrastructure to sell online, shipping and inventory.

I'm sure if there was something I wanted bad enough I could email the label and see if they would sell it to me direct.

Thanks for the list guys.
I dont offer it because it's some extra work that doesn't bring much for all the little details it makes do. Anybody who ask, when I tell them the prices, they realise it's not really cheaper than buying at some online store like Nuloop. I really like to sell cd through CDBaby though. Good results and less troubles.
gillsans
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by gillsans »

pheek wrote:
I dont offer it because it's some extra work that doesn't bring much for all the little details it makes do. Anybody who ask, when I tell them the prices, they realise it's not really cheaper than buying at some online store like Nuloop. I really like to sell cd through CDBaby though. Good results and less troubles.
Yeah I wouldnt expect labels to sell it for less. Its a good opportunity to make full price when otherwise they would only make wholesale.

Plus its fun to listen to a labels records and find a few that I like and order them direct. Anyway - Im happy to pay full and feel like I had a connection with the label then buying out of a bin.

But I do understand thats its costly and time consuming to sell direct.
CEDE
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by CEDE »

It is quite an undertaking. :?

but it is a nice option to offer people, sometimes offering the releases a little bit earlier or for slightly less than some other shops. We only tend to carry a few copies of each release in the shop though, so we dont compete too much with the distro and other shops who are supporting us.
gillsans
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by gillsans »

CEDE wrote:It is quite an undertaking. :?

but it is a nice option to offer people, sometimes offering the releases a little bit earlier or for slightly less than some other shops. We only tend to carry a few copies of each release in the shop though, so we dont compete too much with the distro and other shops who are supporting us.
Perfect!

Nice one Goosehound. You were my example in the first post. I ordered records and a shirt and got them asap.

:)
thew
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by thew »

I've only ever bought directly from Warp and Spectral and have found that the service both labels have offered to be really good (i got a few free badges/ posters/ stickers/ not a lot really but it left me with a really positive experience of the label). I understand that they may be a little more work involved from the labels point of view but i think that it's a perfect platform for labels to push their tunes.

I walked around with my little spectral badges on and had a few of fellow techno nerd mates in awe of my coolness (ha ha) ;)

I'm on a heap of mailing lists from a heap of different labels that i may or may not regularly buy but Spectral and Warp are in the unique position to know that i have in the past purchased their product.

From my point of view it value adds to a product in an already competitive market :)
'My sound is the sound of two sounds making warmth'