Daniel "dbx" Bell: Appreciation thread

minimal house
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by minimal house »

carbon_copy wrote:Dan Bell is up there as one of my biggest influences for the minimal techno sound. Phreak, Spocks Brain, Live Wire.............The man is a genius. :D
word.
Surgi
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Surgi »

I like his "loosing control" on Peacefrog very much 8)
dsat
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by dsat »

I still listen to the Accelerator stuff
especially the LP Rare and Unreleased
he's really one of the first minimal pioneers, along with richie and the kooky scientist

gotta have'm!!
fader
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by fader »

btw did anyone hear Fabrice 'mr. copycat' Lig's newest release on F...U F-Com?

such a DBX rip-off :lol: :lol:
minimal house
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by minimal house »

You know what, i heard Dan Bell actually sued someone in the 90's for a track that closely resembled one of his. Dont think he won the case.
carbon_copy
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by carbon_copy »

f3d4r wrote:btw did anyone hear Fabrice 'mr. copycat' Lig's newest release on F...U F-Com?

such a DBX rip-off :lol: :lol:
Yup..........

Had it at the store I work at.

Sounds like Dan Bell's/Neil Landstrum's early 90's stuff.

I still bought it, lol. :lol:
Doctor T
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Doctor T »

minimal house wrote:You know what, i heard Dan Bell actually sued someone in the 90's for a track that closely resembled one of his.
It was a dispute over Josh Wink's (winx) track "don't laugh", although I don't think he actually sued him over it. If I remember correctly, Dan was pissed because he felt that the vocal manipulations in Don't Laugh were biting his style from "loosing control". He sent a nasty letter to his fans bitching about it, but I don't remember hearing anything about a lawsuit.

the whole incident seems rather silly.
carbon_copy
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by carbon_copy »

Doctor T wrote:
minimal house wrote:You know what, i heard Dan Bell actually sued someone in the 90's for a track that closely resembled one of his.
It was a dispute over Josh Wink's (winx) track "don't laugh", although I don't think he actually sued him over it. If I remember correctly, Dan was pissed because he felt that the vocal manipulations in Don't Laugh were biting his style from "loosing control". He sent a nasty letter to his fans bitching about it, but I don't remember hearing anything about a lawsuit.

the whole incident seems rather silly.
I thought it was about Josh Winks track Freak, which sounded a lot like Live Wire, while biting the vocal of Phreak. Doesn't matter either way, you're right, awfully silly.