Minimal knowledge

- ask away
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

dont worry about your limited equipment, i have a producer friend who has released dozens of tracks on various minimal labels who uses nothing but Reason.
i keep hearing this question alot on this forum, ' how do i make minimal sounds ? ' and really there are no such things as minimal sounds unless you are wanting to copy the sounds other minimal producers are using.
i never quite understand why anyone would really want to do that.
in my opinion 'minimal' is about structure, it's about getting the maximum effect from the smallest possible number of elements. it's about using the spaces in between the sounds.
the sounds themselves are up to you, they are what make it your music !
create your own sounds, experiment with your software, even with a basic knowlege of synthesis which you can find easily on the internet, you can make your own kicks, snares, etc.
spend a few weeks experimenting, if you are struggling, then sample existing sounds you like, and use them, and come back to synthesis later.
if you want to create space in a tune, try taking various elements away, and see if the groove still works, if it doesnt, put the element back and try shortening the sound by using a shorter decay on the envelope.
if you dont know what en envelope is, make it a priority to find out, get on the web and do a bit of research. you just need a bit of basic knowlege to get started,
always remember there is no right or wrong way to make minimal music, and the current trends in sounds and styles are exactly that, they will be old very soon,
i hope thats some help mate.

http://www.mindtours.co.uk
http://www.myspace.com/steevio
Cameron
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Cameron »

Yes it is thanks. I have always followed the notion that music is whatever you make it to be so you are right in what you say, there is no set way. Cheers. :P
stringfello
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by stringfello »

I know I am new to the forum but I had to chime in. I use a Mac G4 tower and Logic 7 and I don't know what you are doing to have the computer geek out on you, but you should be able to make incredible tracks with what you have. Believe me, and no offense to anyone else, but Logic is crazy for making any sound you want. I actually stopped using Reason 3.0 because of Logic 7. Maybe if you describe the problem you are having instead just saying you are having a problem we could help a little.
Reborn in Detroit
Cameron
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Cameron »

I would like to to add more depth to my pads, give my tom's variety and just tips or advise to fill the gaps in and give an over all feel to the track. I didn't personally know of anyone who wrote minimal until I came to this forum so it's becoming a good learning curve for me.
Measax
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Measax »

stringfello wrote:I know I am new to the forum but I had to chime in. I use a Mac G4 tower and Logic 7 and I don't know what you are doing to have the computer geek out on you, but you should be able to make incredible tracks with what you have. Believe me, and no offense to anyone else, but Logic is crazy for making any sound you want. I actually stopped using Reason 3.0 because of Logic 7. Maybe if you describe the problem you are having instead just saying you are having a problem we could help a little.
just don't try to use sculpture or space designer! Unless thats all you use....haha....
stringfello
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by stringfello »

I would like to to add more depth to my pads, give my tom's variety and just tips or advise to fill the gaps in and give an over all feel to the track. I didn't personally know of anyone who wrote minimal until I came to this forum so it's becoming a good learning curve for me.

Alright. Most of what you are talking about is going to come down to you experimenting with Logic 7. To be honest, pick up the book and read it.

If you want to add more depth to you pads, layer with chords or other sounds. you can also Bus the sound out to a crazy effect chain. Then that would combine the original with the Bussed efx. A great layered sound.

If you want your toms to have expression try alternating velocity changes.
You could layer velocity switching to trigger other tom samples.

To fill in the gaps you can put new sounds in and then take them out or use effects lightly to blend sounds together.

Here is the deal. These answers are vague because you need to put the time in and learn the program. I think what you'll find is your music will become amazing after you understand the program. If you think about what producers had back in the day, a TR 909. That might have been all they had. When they used it to produced they knew every in and out of the machine and what it could do. It allowed them to break the parameters and think outside of what it was ment to do and realize what they could do. That is why you will hear of guys on the very forum that use Reason or Reason and Ableton to make music. It is not what you have, it is how you use it. You have a Mac G4 and Logic 7. I will say it again. I was a Reason user for 3 years. I got Logic 7 and got rid of Reason. Not because I don't like the program, but because when I saw Logic it spoke to me and I wanted to learn it. If you learn Logic, skies the limit as to what you can make. I gaurantee your music will not sound like anything else. You must learn the program even if you have to read the book.
Reborn in Detroit
Cameron
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Cameron »

Thank you, I have the book out in front of me as I speak. You have been of help to me and I have come away having learnt things that I didn't know before. Take care :D
Measax
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Measax »

if you are going to use logic....make sure you set up at least 6 aux's but I'd use 12. This is really important when routing your signal flow.

this helps when routing a multi channel inst. like ultrabeat...or if you want to send multiple bussed effects to one aux with an effect on those......
I would also explore the enviroment...arp. delayline and transfor objects are cool...you can make some crazy signal flow charts and save them for later use...
Last edited by Measax on Thu Oct 12, 2006 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.