mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by plaster »

i'm looking in all the wrong places then. *sniff*
ri
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by ri »

External harddrives for audio and projects are better than internal anyhow, and the speed of that is more important. Get a fast solid external drive for live shows, will be way better. Slightly less portable, btu they are pretty small these days.
r.i.

let the music talk
cyhl
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by cyhl »

ri wrote:External harddrives for audio and projects are better than internal anyhow
can you tell us why?
plaster
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by plaster »

cyhl wrote:
ri wrote:External harddrives for audio and projects are better than internal anyhow
can you tell us why?
i hope to justify my previous post and sorgekinds signature now :D
sorgenkind
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by sorgenkind »

plaster wrote:
cyhl wrote:
can you tell us why?
i hope to justify my previous post and sorgekinds signature now :D
:D :D
ri
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by ri »

Because your samples and projects will run faster on a HD that doesn't run your OS and program files (which will be on your internal HD)... unless of course you have a dual HD laptop.... :D
r.i.

let the music talk
brianc
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by brianc »

ri wrote:Because your samples and projects will run faster on a HD that doesn't run your OS and program files (which will be on your internal HD)... unless of course you have a dual HD laptop.... :D
A lot of people say this, but I'd say it's pretty much a myth.

The majority of your samples, parameters, etc. are stored in memory when you're using them (the latency if they were read from disk all the time would be too much). Also, it's not like the operating system is using a lot of different features when you're playing. Most likely, only the processes and libraries used by your audio program are needed, and the rest are sleeping processes and are swapped out. Also, relying on an external drive adds some latency, because the OS has to use the USB/Firewire stack to deal with the data, which it doesn't have to do with the internal drive.

It's all about RAM.
stringfello
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by stringfello »

Actually you need to read the specs of USB 2.0 and Firewire. It is better to have your projects or live performance audio come from an external Firewire drive. USB 2.0 not so sure. Firewire was invented by Apple for a reason. So I think they did?

The reason why, is Firewire runs off a different bus architecture than your internal hard drive. If you use he internal you will use more processing power. It is best to have the internal run the operating system and programs but all of the audio come from the external.

If I am wrong then we all need to research so that we can all be right instead of speculating what our opinions are.

Of course then I would be a hypocrite
Reborn in Detroit