Intel Core 2 Duo is it any good?

- ask away
4am
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by 4am »

tsod wrote:just wait a few months for the quad ones.. they're announced to xmas this year
and as already said in this forum ableton has announced dual processor support for version 6.. also coming soon
i dont own one by myself.. but as far as i heard they're top notch!
have you got more information about quad processors?
my laptop is coming at the end of his life and i'm considering buying a dual core one... but i can maybe wait until christmas and go for a quad one....
on the ableton newsletter they said that version 6 will have multicore support (so also quad processors) but this will maybe cause heat and battery issues on notebooks
mech84
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by mech84 »

brianc
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by brianc »

The Core 2 Duos are definitely the way to go right now. Don't worry about waiting for a quad-core-- they're really only meant for servers/workstations right now. It'll be a long time before they put them in a laptop because of heat and power.
4am
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by 4am »

hey thanks for the infos!
i suppose also that the first quad core processors will be too expensive... at least the first ones
my candidate n.1 is

SONY Vaio VGN-SZ1XP, Core Duo T2400 (2x 1.83GHz), 1024MB
100GB, DVD±RW DL, WLAN, Bluetooth, 13.3" WXGA (1280x800), Windows XP Pro

but it will be with 2 gigs of ram and with a second big screen when at home...

mine is loud like an old coffee machine (because of the fan of the p4 always working) and not really so reliable in the last times :(
brianc
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by brianc »

be sure to keep in mind that core duo and core 2 duo are very different processors. core duos are based on the old P4 mobile and the core 2 duos are the new architecture. right now the performance of the two is pretty similar, though.
4am
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by 4am »

mmhh other good point to check! i will look for more information about this..
if the "core duo" heats like the old p4 it will be a very bad point for me...
ri
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by ri »

Why 2gigs ram? Lots and lots of samples? Or video editing?
r.i.

let the music talk
ri
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by ri »

From what I've seen with multicore, AMD are redesigning their entire structure, so it'll eventually be a far tastier option, and way more modular than Intel can do from a consumer point of view. However their research has slowed their processers down for teh time being, so if you're buying now, or for the next few months, Intel look solid... just do a lot of research, 2008 will be the year that things shift in a major way, so don't wait that long, just buy now, and then buy again in 2008/09 when you feel the upgrade bug. btw. there is no way to successully upgrade your PC nowadays in this environment, most companies are smart enough to make any major shifts almost impossible without almost an entire overhaul of your machine, so don't think that you're getting an easily upgradable PC, Mac are just as easy to upgrade as most modern PCs for the audio end of the market these days.

And don't be fooled into thinking Mac additional ram etc. is expensive, comparatively it's the same as PC, just that with PC you can get shite cheap ram (which will slow down things).
r.i.

let the music talk