Roland Mc-909

- ask away
adam
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by adam »

These machines are garbage. Presynthesized sounds with very few adjustable parameters and the inability to do much more than arrange over limited memory patterns and add FX with about the same amount of genericism and lack of paramater tweaking.

Being blunt, you'll either get somewhere and wake up some day wondering why the hell you spent the money or you'll keep using it and won't ever be able to elevate your music above a certain threshold needed to succeed. It would be the weak link until eliminated.
MarcAshken
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by MarcAshken »

forget those, get a machinedrum www.machinedrum.com ,
mine arrived 2 days ago an its amazing, I 100% promise you that you wont regret it.
Christ
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Christ »

adam wrote:These machines are garbage. Presynthesized sounds with very few adjustable parameters and the inability to do much more than arrange over limited memory patterns and add FX with about the same amount of genericism and lack of paramater tweaking.

Being blunt, you'll either get somewhere and wake up some day wondering why the hell you spent the money or you'll keep using it and won't ever be able to elevate your music above a certain threshold needed to succeed. It would be the weak link until eliminated.

If people need more equipment to make a good track, people really should give up making music.
adam
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by adam »

Christ wrote:
adam wrote:These machines are garbage. Presynthesized sounds with very few adjustable parameters and the inability to do much more than arrange over limited memory patterns and add FX with about the same amount of genericism and lack of paramater tweaking.

If people need more equipment to make a good track, people really should give up making music.
It's not a question of having more.. it's about having something actually useful.

Trust me when I say that buying this would be the worst use of your studio funds. The only thing you'll end up using it for in the end, maybe, is a midi clock.

PS - people really do need more than that to make a good track. you can do good with whatever you have available to you but I guarentee there are a lot of pieces of gear or software packages even that you could get instead and and will be GUARENTEED to produce much better music in the end
Leon Neon
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Leon Neon »

my sister gave me her old mc-303 a few years ago, and there it lies in the corner...gathering dust. That is really what the mc series is very good at-it gathers dust like crazy! If you are a dust collector, go ahead and get the 909 because I hear it gathers dust even FASTER!

In all seriousness, if you want hardware for a live show, there are better things to be had. The machinedrum is a great piece of gear, but it is very expensive. I bought one back when they first started making them, and I fell in love right away.
astley
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by astley »

MarcAshken wrote:forget those, get a machinedrum www.machinedrum.com ,
mine arrived 2 days ago an its amazing, I 100% promise you that you wont regret it.
this is true.. the longer I create beats with this thing the more I love it.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

forget the mc909, its a toy, for me, roland came off the tracks with those cheesey groove boxes.
i'd agree with the advice of the machine drum, or if you want to be adventurous, get hold of a secondhand Nord 3, and synthesize all your own sounds. i use one live, they are rock solid, never crash, you can see exactly whats going on with your modulations in a dark club because of the rotary encoders, its easy to set up quite extreme morphs and modulations, easy to save and switch between performances, and after all it was designed as a performance synthesizer. you'll see more Nord synths than any other in live situations.
i'm biased, i love Nords, but if you want a quality and versatile drum machine, go with the machine drum. they're class !!!
astley
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by astley »

get a nordlead AND a machine drum...

game over :D