Vinyl sales for labels

- open
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

cyhl wrote:I'd be curious to know what a label like perlon sells...
Actually you could get surprised.

I remember a Swiss label which have been in business for a long time, and I thought they were selling really okay, but then I was told that they only sell 700-1000 copies per release, that surprised me a lot.
subtropical
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by subtropical »

patrick bateman wrote:
subtropical wrote:
patrick bateman wrote:hehe, do you think you'll get the exact numbers from the labels?

My guess is that small labels sell between 500-1000 per release. This would often be new labels, and labels not buying big stars to release for them.

Then you have the small-medium labels that sell between 1000-2500 per release. This would often be quality labels that have been in business for a while or new labels with the current 'stars'.

Then the medium-big labels that sell between 2500-6000 releases which are well established and well-known labels.

And finally the big labels doing more than 6000 per release (think Poker Flat, M-Nus and that sort of labels).

something like that....
I appreciate this though...i was was just wondering more specifics...i have been hearing this story for a few years now..maybe it's different now- i don't know???

cheers man
Well, I'm not going to give you the exact numbers for TTT....
But if you know somebody that are producing and releasing then ask them ;)

cool, cool, yeah i have some info but i am trying to see if there is any more fluctuation in the market...but exactly...i'd love to know about Perlon and Minus and those guys...like...what does it mean to be a BIG label - in terms of numbers...

we did 500 for our first vinyl pressing just to test the waters...when we get the results we can see if we do more!

anyone else?
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

subtropical wrote:cool, cool, yeah i have some info but i am trying to see if there is any more fluctuation in the market...but exactly...i'd love to know about Perlon and Minus and those guys...like...what does it mean to be a BIG label - in terms of numbers...

we did 500 for our first vinyl pressing just to test the waters...when we get the results we can see if we do more!

anyone else?

I would say that a big label is 5000+ for each release.
I know some of the Poker Flat ones are more than 15.000+ :wink:

In general vinyl sales are quite good, but it's not like in the 90ies where everybody could sell 2000+. Now adays I think the it's most common to sell around 700-1500, then then up (read my first post)...
subtropical
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by subtropical »

I heard Mathew Johnson's Decompression sold 12,000 worldwide but that was back in 2004-ish and i know Trentmöller's stuff on Naked sold 16,000-ish but i'm curious about right now...any big sellers?
dsat
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by dsat »

don't use figures for vinyl sales, as they're dropping, wait a few years lol
the market is shrinking and those who persevere in selling it are in it for the love (and a bit for the money, but don't expect any wonders)

i'm not sure if minus really sells 6000 copies
generally a hit record sells around 2-3000, with the occasional exception

but ever since richie has been pretty 'unsupportive' when it comes to vinyl (it's all business talk, but what the hell) and since the minimal kids will follow their beloved hero, vinyl will become a thing to fight for in the future, we're not there yet, but one day.... i dread the thought (going off topic, but i couldn't resist speaking my mind)
subtropical
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by subtropical »

hmmm yeah this sounds more realistic at the moment... :(
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

dsat wrote:don't use figures for vinyl sales, as they're dropping, wait a few years lol
the market is shrinking and those who persevere in selling it are in it for the love (and a bit for the money, but don't expect any wonders)

but ever since richie has been pretty 'unsupportive' when it comes to vinyl (it's all business talk, but what the hell) and since the minimal kids will follow their beloved hero, vinyl will become a thing to fight for in the future, we're not there yet, but one day.... i dread the thought (going off topic, but i couldn't resist speaking my mind)
I more or less agree, but could you give some exampels of 'hit records' that you think sells 2-3000 copies?

Agreed on the Hawtin/Minus thing.
dsat
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by dsat »

patrick bateman wrote:
dsat wrote:don't use figures for vinyl sales, as they're dropping, wait a few years lol

I more or less agree, but could you give some exampels of 'hit records' that you think sells 2-3000 copies?

Agreed on the Hawtin/Minus thing.
well... let's just say that i'm a bit careful when a label claims to sell 15.000 copies that's all... in these times 15.000 is difficult, even for pokerflat
and big time labels have an image to uphold, so...
plus, it depends on the style of music
i guess with minimal a hit record could go up to 6000, but for things like detroitish techno, electro, disco or even experimental stuff, the number would be much lower.... let's just say 2-3000 would be an average figure

examples... i really don't know titles, i only know the covers, i'm a disaster when it comes to titles
but i know a few people who sell 3000 copies as their best sales figures, but it's not minimal, but as the market is getting saturated with minimal, dj's will start buying less once their collection is getting bigger, shops will have more stock, which could affect orders etc... 15.000? i'm not so sure
i have my doubts that's all