music in the universe - fact or dream

- open
Robot Criminal
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Robot Criminal »

well i think music itself is more about the math than physics (we receiving it is all about the physics). So translating ideas between civilisations (check "Close Encounters of the Third Kind") would be pretty easy imo, its the "usefulness" of them we should worry about (when??? haha).
Image we are all atomic and subatomic particles and we are all wireless...
mayzee
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by mayzee »

@RC - good point, i hadn't thought about reducing the structure to an algorithm, that could work on a transport level, but whether the interpretation is paralleled would be the interesting thing...

@mayluna - I see what you mean, the only thingI see with that, as mentioned, is the way in which the music is interpreted, I think our emotions and our responses to music are very much tied in with they way our bodies and brains are... if we assume that the aliens and us can swap music we'd have to be careful to make sure we weren't doing the equivalent of sonically swearing at them :) its like a dog whistle, we can't hear it but it drives dogs crazy... what if our music sent them into a rage.... what if they heard R&B !! :shock:

@millsy - shut it, punk ;) :lol:
Cotumo
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Cotumo »

I'm convinced that there're millions of other species which make music. But I'm also convinced, that mankind nether get in contact with them...
mayluna
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

m..

Post by mayluna »

maybe not in human body no.. but i am sure that the mind can life on., the human body is just a lifeform that your soul can use to stay on this planet..
so then comes the question, what do you give back to earth ..

and to come back on the kind of vibes giving to other civilizations... if people mean harm - they express harm .. reverse that and you have someone who loves music.. so i dont think other forms can interpretate that wrong..
.. you give yourself ..
dncn
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by dncn »

has the baton of trippiest musing been passed on from jesse?
John Clees
mnml admn
mnml admn

Post by John Clees »

mayzee wrote: what if they heard R&B !! :shock:
hahaha...

that's when they invade....

perhaps humans will transform into another species just as
monkey - caveman - human...

anyone think we are just going to stop at where we are..? such as the same notion that we are alone and the only one's in the universe...

I find that very hard to agree with..

mayzee
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by mayzee »

mayluna - ahhh... this is where we have to differ, i don't believe in souls or consciousness existing independently of the body... to me it is the body which has caused the consciousness, and when we die, thats it... I'm a scientist so I need proof and experiment, I can't believe in anything which is based on conjecture... we've spent the last 10000 years slowly moving away from these ideas, and personally i find it a little sad that they are still so prevalent and we cannot accept ourselves for what we are, an animal that got a bit too clever for its own good... nothing more...

people should belive what they wish, but I think they should at least have some measurable basis for that belief :)

john - I think we will evolve, but we're now in a position to direct our evolution and take an active role in it, if we so wish, now we are aware of it, we can use it... its somewhat like Nietszches idea of the 'superman' :)
millsy23
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by millsy23 »

15 posts and Matt's onto Nietszche already

Textbook :lol: :wink: