Is Minus becoming the Get Physical of minimal?

- wax
primevil
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by primevil »

nowayback wrote:i can sense some hypocrisy here... the recordings of sets indeed pop up like mushrooms... but
how can you tell people not to listen to them? if richie and co really meant what they 're preaching,
then there would be no sets of them around for at least the last 3 years... i mean come on, anyone
can check if there's a cable hooked on the mixer's rec-out hole.. imo, the availability of sets that
float around the internet is a big piece of their exposure pie... and of course they wouldn't wanna
throw it away. hawtin himself might come above that need, but the rest of the gang definitely still
owes a lot to those recorded sets. it just "sounds proper" of them to tell all that crap about "be
there or miss it 4eva", and it's fair enough they wanna market themselves as something unique every
time. (but it still comes out a bit pretentious.) some clubs (i.e. the Fuse in Brussels) owe it big
time to the sets that were & are available online... and that fame reflected on the artists who 've
been performing there, it's a recycling process of benefits for all sides involved. So why blame a
fresh dj-set recording if the vinyl pressings come later than they should (like we're in the 90s)

People don't listen to those sets just to check what's magda's latest. even if they do, it's their
right. they 're entitled to get bored sooner than others, because technology gives them the right to.
one could be so passionate about the whole thing... gaining as much input as possible and do the
keep/diss process on their own. this can't be called missing out on the music... don't see it only
from a rival artist perspective... not everyone has an account on beatport or wants to produce or dj.
there are plain music lovers out there, so up-to-date and very demanding. they do download sets, they
do listen & buy new releases, they check discogs or juno all the time, and they smash it hard out in
the clubland, they do everything. and they're not artists or djs.

oh, and i'm sorry for the long text & if i helped carrying this a bit off-topic... :)
good point there dude. it's always gonna happen now i supose because of the way things are, so i suppose its just up to the individuals if they wanna download em or not, or the dj's if they want them recorded
dsat
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by dsat »

i warmed up for a minus night
i didn't play one minus record
i played 4 safari track one after the other
i played basic channel-ish stuff
i played old plus 8
i played vogel stuff
i played so many other sick records that make minus stand in the shade

it's all smart marketing
but i can't say they don't deserve it, they worked hard for it
sometimes though i feel richie is becoming the dj tiesto of minimal and minus the example to follow...
and it's hurting other labels that are working hard to push their sound and their views.... and face it, richie didn't invent this, 6 years ago he was spinning hard looptechno giving in to the market needs of that time, other seminal artists working hard for many years paved the road and he's skateboarding on that road now... it's a recurrent pattern in music history
i still respect him and the minus label, and if i like something, i'll buy it
it's just sad to see that so many people fall for the marketing hook, liner and sinker...
oh well, life goes on i guess, my boiler just got fixed and now my fridge is giving me hell... other things to worry about
Zinthek
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Zinthek »

People are always talking about how incredibly famous and popular Richie Hawtin and the m_nus label are, but I think like 99 out of every 100 people would still say "Richie who?"
I don't think he's anywhere yet where Tiësto is right now.
Tiësto recently made a remix of some Pirates of the carribean tune. I still don't see Richie working for Disney you know.
And about the m_nus label, when they release good tracks, I will buy them, when they release crap, I won't. And I think alot of people still think that way.
I mean I don't think alot of people will play a m_nus record just cause it's a m_nus record even if they think it sucks.
Last edited by Zinthek on Tue Aug 01, 2006 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thomas D and Jack Thomas
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Thomas D and Jack Thomas »

In fairness, Richie was into minimal in the late 90s just as he is now. The only difference now is that its popular so he plays it more. I think Richie should just do what he does best. Listening to Luciano and Ricardo lately...those guys are wiping the floor with Hawtin both mixing and tracklisting wise. They're also playing a lot harder and housier than Hawtin. It's a sad day when Ricardo sloppy villalobos can out mix hawtin.

It's just a shame because Richie in top form is unstoppable.
okzbow
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by okzbow »

Thomas D and Jack Thomas wrote:In fairness, Richie was into minimal in the late 90s just as he is now. The only difference now is that its popular so he plays it more. I think Richie should just do what he does best. Listening to Luciano and Ricardo lately...those guys are wiping the floor with Hawtin both mixing and tracklisting wise. They're also playing a lot harder and housier than Hawtin. It's a sad day when Ricardo sloppy villalobos can out mix hawtin.

prolly Richie is a bit too much into some stuff that is not good for him... saw him in Berlin a few times lately and hmzz....
Im not a saint, but partying for 3 or 4 days doesnt do any good for your health and state of mind.
Ro
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Ro »

okzbow wrote:
Thomas D and Jack Thomas wrote:In fairness, Richie was into minimal in the late 90s just as he is now. The only difference now is that its popular so he plays it more. I think Richie should just do what he does best. Listening to Luciano and Ricardo lately...those guys are wiping the floor with Hawtin both mixing and tracklisting wise. They're also playing a lot harder and housier than Hawtin. It's a sad day when Ricardo sloppy villalobos can out mix hawtin.

prolly Richie is a bit too much into some stuff that is not good for him... saw him in Berlin a few times lately and hmzz....
Im not a saint, but partying for 3 or 4 days doesnt do any good for your health and state of mind.
Having fun is good isn't it?!
If some of these dj's start falling out of trees these days, that's not my problem. If I get quality music and quality parties, I don't care what they do with their health.
Forget it jake, it's Chinatown.
theclockstrucktwelve
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by theclockstrucktwelve »

better than living a boring, monotonous life of nine to five jobs and sh!t!

"...Michaelangelo is a PARTY DUDE.. *PAARTEEEEEEE!* "
okzbow
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by okzbow »

Ro wrote:
okzbow wrote:

Having fun is good isn't it?!
If some of these dj's start falling out of trees these days, that's not my problem. If I get quality music and quality parties, I don't care what they do with their health.
I dont care either... but it is a fact that Richie is not playing very well lately.... and I know by experience that too much "partying" for a longer time affects your inspiration and creativity, you get numb...
But then again, lots of other good parties around :-)