hardware only producers?

- ask away
thom
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by thom »

Hardware... software... like what the fck ever people.

anyway...

When the fck did composers and musicians become "producers"... that's messed up.
sorgenkind
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by sorgenkind »

thom wrote:Hardware... software... like what the fck ever people.

anyway...

When the fck did composers and musicians become "producers"... that's messed up.
when, thank to the technology, you can do almost all the production tasks at home with a computer and a couple of other stuff.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

anyway...

brass..woodwind... like what the fck ever people. there are differences, and we like talking about stuff. this is geek central after all.

but youre right about the overuse of the term 'producers', but i dont think we stopped being musicians and composers when we became producers as well, or did we ?? saved me shtloads of money though, and this section is about production, not composing, maybe we need a composing section !!
Measax
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Measax »

anyway...

cause its not very trendy to say you are a composer. plus, who can really play keyboard anyway- btw, i am joking, but i'd rather twist knobs and know what they all do than play three chords and have no clue. Its harder to have good taste in music and know how to make cool yet underground sounds that blast on all systems than it is to just be a musician. Just look at most pop bands these days.
thom
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by thom »

steevio wrote:maybe we need a composing section !!
That would revolutionary... in the little universe of electronic music forums.

Yes yes.... that would be very good. :D
gmschroeder
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by gmschroeder »

Uhm, how come nobody brought up the influence that an interface has on how you write?
sauce
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by sauce »

Until computers can implement dedicated DSP's in them, the sound quality will suffer. Also, there is a reason true analog gear costs so fucking much: sound quality again.

Truth: If you want to play with the big boys, you have to get some nice toys. I am not saying that you can't put together an adequate track/live set with software only. I am saying that sooner or later, if you want to progress as an artist, you should try and see first-hand what hardware can bring to the table. It brings a lot!
..::ArenaRockForAndroids::..

http://soundcloud.com/danieklerr
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

sauce wrote:Until computers can implement dedicated DSP's in them, the sound quality will suffer. Also, there is a reason true analog gear costs so fucking much: sound quality again.

Truth: If you want to play with the big boys, you have to get some nice toys. I am not saying that you can't put together an adequate track/live set with software only. I am saying that sooner or later, if you want to progress as an artist, you should try and see first-hand what hardware can bring to the table. It brings a lot!
well said mate.
i thought this post died ages ago, but i'd like to say that while ive consistantly promoted the hardware 'live' approach in this forum, ive also found computers very useful tools in the music making process, however, more recently ive found that i'm going more and more analogue, and becoming more dissillusioned with software.
ive got a mate who i used to argue with for hours on end about these issues, because he was a reaktor / ableton guy, and couldnt see my point of view. when i saw him yesterday, he told me he'd stopped using a computer altogether, and was firing up his 808, 909 and old analogues which had been gathering dust for the last 5 years, and having FUN again.
and i suppose thats my point here, when you see someone like Octave One from Detroit going for it with their hardware live set-up, you can feel the joy, theres a raw power, funk and soul in their performance, because their interface is conducive to those ends, hardware 'does what it says on the tin' you turn a knob and you know exactly what you're going to get.
compare that to some of the insipid performances i've seen over the last few years from geeks hiding behind laptops, you dont know whether theyre just checking their emails or not !!
software production is more akin to design, and in the studio environment thats quite often an advantage, but in the live arena IMHO, give me hardware anyday.