Beatport - The backlash!!

- open
idealstandard
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by idealstandard »

theclockstrucktwelve wrote:record collecting is fun, but that's about it.
it's been made irrelevent and inefficient. people can and will continue to collect records (thankfully) but for the people who don't have time for that kind of "hobby", there's a new world out there that makes things happen
Sad but true.

(gosh I shouldn't have downloaded that last Metallica album)
tzusing
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by tzusing »

gan_on wrote:the heart and soul of vinyl...
yes, there is, as you know, much more work behind a vinyl release than the uploading of an mp3 file...you have the mastering, the making of the laquer, the sleeve design, the pressing of the records, the distribution etc...the vinyl record has heart and sole because in the process of making it there are a lot of people involved who put their heart and soul in it to make the final product...with mp3 you have the premaster, the didgital master and then the upload, you can do that by yourself, and make unlimited copies, tell me, where the heart and soul in a series of 1's and 0's?
and since there are unlimited copies, what fun is that, with beatport everyone get the same tracks...
digital files does not have physical form, a vinyl record has...and things without physical form carries no soul...in my opinion.

netlabels, yes...i dont really understand how that works.
record collecting is good for people that do not plan to move a lot. so far i have been moving from country to country every 2-5 years. Moving records is just something i cannot deal with. i collected records at one point in my life... (i still buy them when i can only get it on 12") but now my humble collection is a real burden. so for you that preach the collect 12" only gospel. consider it a privilege.

also this is what i love about the 1's and 0's. the fact that your collection of music could potentially live forever and can be duplicated 00 times. which makes it very easy for backup and storage. also the internet and mp3 brings underground music to peopel all over the world and is somewhat a democratization of music. You no longer have to be in the right place at the right time with the right amount of income to be able to enjoy a type of music.
i don't think you have any kind of idea how much turntables and records cost to a local shanghainese that make about 500 USD a month. (and that is considered very very high pay)
i can almost guarantee you that there would be no idm/techno scene in china if it wasn't for bootleg cds and mp3s on the internet.

i'm just saying if you have lived in a 3rd world country with no electronic music scene, no records stores, the internet and mp3s start to look very different to you.
as a matter of fact i lived in shanghai during 99-01 and this was before the whole internet mp3 thing. it really sucked. i had no way of getting the music i was thirsting for. (cept for the random hawtin, goldie, orb bootleg cd finds which were rare)

btw why is it so important that the medium of music should takes a physical form? music itself isn't physical so wouldn't you say music as invisible 1s and 0s is actually closer and more true to what music really looks like?
bleupulp
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by bleupulp »

kompakt didnt accept my label eighter lets boycott kompakt

i didnt read the whole thread ,

but i can say that my label is 1000 time less known than pheek's and i got accepted just like that when i submited

and that pheek told be the other day he got accepted as well recently ...

2 buck for per track for a whole 15 track release is expensive , might as well buy the cd ,

but if u only want a few specifik tracks from an album i think 2 buck per tracks aint a big deal ,... 8 bucks for a ep is cheaper than a 15 buck vynil

if u cant afford em , might get yer self lime wire :P

its all in the way u see things ...
ri
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by ri »

gan_on wrote:the heart and soul of vinyl...
digital files does not have physical form, a vinyl record has...and things without physical form carries no soul...in my opinion.
Come on...It's all compressed air!
So you put no value on an voice? Because that too has no physical form, but like mp3s, it has something to project it, and will sound like vinyl in a club :)
Basically that sounds a little bit like a trainspotting collector's way to think about music. If you want music, most people will first look at their options on how to get it, and then make a decision on what is best for the music, some people only want to listen to the music on their headphones on the bus, some want to spin it at a club, some will want to tour with it, some won't have Serato Live or whatever and need vinyl, but to say one is inherrently better than the other is blind to what the main thing is here: getting people to listen to good music. If you are into music soley because you want it to be 'exclusive' etc. then you obviously have no idea what soul is in the slightest!!!

If you want to collect the cover art etc then cool, but that has no bearing here, you just buy the record, it's completely different. One is purchasing the music&record&artwork, and one is purchasing the music.

I love vinyl, but for places outside of central Europe, Tokyo, the UK, and parts of the US and Canada, there's NO fucking way that everyone can afford vinyl these days, you guys keep talking like the price structure of Beatport was made for you, stop being so self-absorbed, Beatport know that their service is global, and that they are gaining a lot more customers all the time from these outlying zones and will continue to do so than the scenes where you have the OPTION to buy vinyl, when most other places have little or no option.

Beatport full releases are still considerably cheaper than geting import 12"s or CDs in many places in the world.

And as for Kompakt - everyone should remember what they are. They are a vinyl distribution company that now also sells Mp3s. They do a lot of P&D deals, and have a lot of labels that they work with closely. They would normally pay less themselves for a release I'd wager than beatport, especially since they own a bunch of the labels outright, so they can pass that saving onto the customer. And they have a lot more leverage with these labels, since many are tied in with the distribution anyhow.
Plus it takes fucking ages to browse Kompakt, sure looks nice and pretty, but any web designer I know could have designed a better browsing architecture. Beatport probably has spent a lot more on development, way more money on marketing etc. and to be honest, they do a fantastic job of brining good quality 'underground' or cutting edge labels to the masses, way more than any other website because of how they will place a Pallette track next to a Defected release. This alone is a good thing.
Bn1 wrote:clicking on an mp3 doesn't require the same amount of investment or effort or give the same amount of enjoyment imo.
Huh? SO the audience dislikes hearing the same song in mp3 format?
They won't get teh same enjoyment?

Or are you talking about your enjoyment of listening to the music?
I guess you're talking about PLAYING the music to yourself, because from most performers points of view, dropping a track off vinyl is awesome, but so is dropping it from Serato Scratch Live or FS or whatever, the rush is the same to the dancefloor, and the performance is almost the same from the djs point of view, it's just different when you're at home listeing to music, which shouldn't be a problem when we are talking about dance music...?

And while on the topic of lastibility - most dance music has very little lastability for djs who have developing taste. I'd say less than 1% of tracks a working DJ buys ever keep over a few years anyhow. So cool, buy vinyl for the tracks that will keep working, but that shouldn't dictate your buying for music you might only play 2-5 times ever.

It's all a choice, and we are looking at 2 major online stores, and a few that are cool, but have very limited new releases each week (that you can't get on beatport or kompakt). Most people I know only use beatport or kompakt (and with kompakt a lot less than they would if it was designed more efficiently) and it's partly because it's easy to stay in 1 or 2 places for music purchasing. There's too much crap around these days, and at least someone is filtering things. There's still hundreds of cool labels I'd like to see on beatport etc. but they're gaining pretty fast.

One thing I'd like to see, is an 'ignore' function on beatport, so you can ignore those shite labels that you hate with a passion, that way you cna then concentrate on looking closer at the more obscure stuff too...
er. that was completely off point.

and anyone from Kompakt wanting free web architecture advice, flick me a message ;)
r.i.

let the music talk
Bn1
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Bn1 »

ri wrote:
Bn1 wrote:clicking on an mp3 doesn't require the same amount of investment or effort or give the same amount of enjoyment imo.
Huh? SO the audience dislikes hearing the same song in mp3 format?
They won't get teh same enjoyment?

Or are you talking about your enjoyment of listening to the music?
I guess you're talking about PLAYING the music to yourself, because from most performers points of view, dropping a track off vinyl is awesome, but so is dropping it from Serato Scratch Live or FS or whatever, the rush is the same to the dancefloor, and the performance is almost the same from the djs point of view, it's just different when you're at home listeing to music, which shouldn't be a problem when we are talking about dance music...?
I listen to/mix dance music at home all the time - theres only parties on every few months here so don't have the chance to play/listen in clubs often. Otherwise you're correct - I meant my enjoyment of listening to the music - I should probably draw more of a distinction between 'djing' and record collecting. I can see how for prof djs .mp3 is a lot easier to deal with (also having recently moved I can definitely relate to the previous post from tzusing about the pain of relocating your record collection).
ramchez
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by ramchez »

what i totally miss in this discussion is the fact that you pay almost the same amount for an mp3 compared to vinyl.

what is the advantage for artist/label for selling mp3 over records?

distribution costs none, promotion costs none. sending promos all over the world none. Sure there are other costs, but they are nothing compared to actually release a 12 inch record... so why do we pay the same?

Personally i prefer to buy a lossless format like wav of flac. Prices around 1,50 euro would suit way way better , instead of paying over 2 euro for mp3!!!

i play for a long time with final scratch, and everyone who is complaining about the bad quality of mp3, should first look at the mixing equipment they are playing on, same goes for the soundsystem. most of the time this is really bad, so why bother about mp3 format?
isa
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by isa »

ramchez wrote:what i totally miss in this discussion is the fact that you pay almost the same amount for an mp3 compared to vinyl.

distribution costs none, promotion costs none. sending promos all over the world none. Sure there are other costs, but they are nothing compared to actually release a 12 inch record... so why do we pay the same?
That's what I tried to say before, although I think it was not understood. I agree with you ramchez. :)
Robot Criminal
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Robot Criminal »

ramchez wrote:what i totally miss in this discussion is the fact that you pay almost the same amount for an mp3 compared to vinyl.

agree too. But how much do artists actually get payd over releasing an mp3 EP instead of one on vinyl? I don't know nothing of the subject, so...
Image we are all atomic and subatomic particles and we are all wireless...