Is Minus becoming the Get Physical of minimal?

- wax
Thomas D and Jack Thomas
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Thomas D and Jack Thomas »

I'd say the majority of the sets on the internet are definitely without permission. But...you can be a technohead and not listen to every single DJ set that comes out. If you need to hear the newest sh!t to keep buzzin' then maybe you're missing the whole point of the music. All the time you're spending listening to mix sets you could be making your own, or even your own tracks. Who knows...spend more time on yourself and you could be the one people are downloading sets of.
primevil
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by primevil »

Thomas D and Jack Thomas wrote:I'd say the majority of the sets on the internet are definitely without permission. But...you can be a technohead and not listen to every single DJ set that comes out. If you need to hear the newest sht to keep buzzin' then maybe you're missing the whole point of the music. All the time you're spending listening to mix sets you could be making your own, or even your own tracks. Who knows...spend more time on yourself and you could be the one people are downloading sets of.
i think you didnt quite get what i was saying or i didnt get my point across well. i love and appreciate many sounds and love playing old tracks as well as the most cutting edge, but i just mean that deep down that techno buzz for many people is when you hear a new concept/idea/sound and ur like wtf! and years ago you would go to a night with hawtin for example and hear a few of these tracks and this would inspire you or whatever. but now its like too easy to hear unreleased tracks via livesets and there is no soul to it. all it brings is frustration, as you would like them to come out quicker. i think i'm trailing off any kind of point here :lol:
Thomas D and Jack Thomas
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Thomas D and Jack Thomas »

You're right. But Hawtin's famous words are "If you weren't there...you missed it."

You can do yourself a favor by not checking out the sets. Head out to the club and experience the music first-hand. Not only will the night be a more mindblowing experience but sh!t won't be old news when a new record comes out.
Decibel
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Decibel »

i think the best track on the min2max which actually appears as a bonus single or something, is Ryan Crosson aka Berg Nixon. that kid is ill..
nowayback
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by nowayback »

i can sense some hypocrisy here... the recordings of sets indeed pop up like mushrooms... but
how can you tell people not to listen to them? if richie and co really meant what they 're preaching,
then there would be no sets of them around for at least the last 3 years... i mean come on, anyone
can check if there's a cable hooked on the mixer's rec-out hole.. imo, the availability of sets that
float around the internet is a big piece of their exposure pie... and of course they wouldn't wanna
throw it away. hawtin himself might come above that need, but the rest of the gang definitely still
owes a lot to those recorded sets. it just "sounds proper" of them to tell all that crap about "be
there or miss it 4eva", and it's fair enough they wanna market themselves as something unique every
time. (but it still comes out a bit pretentious.) some clubs (i.e. the Fuse in Brussels) owe it big
time to the sets that were & are available online... and that fame reflected on the artists who 've
been performing there, it's a recycling process of benefits for all sides involved. So why blame a
fresh dj-set recording if the vinyl pressings come later than they should (like we're in the 90s)

People don't listen to those sets just to check what's magda's latest. even if they do, it's their
right. they 're entitled to get bored sooner than others, because technology gives them the right to.
one could be so passionate about the whole thing... gaining as much input as possible and do the
keep/diss process on their own. this can't be called missing out on the music... don't see it only
from a rival artist perspective... not everyone has an account on beatport or wants to produce or dj.
there are plain music lovers out there, so up-to-date and very demanding. they do download sets, they
do listen & buy new releases, they check discogs or juno all the time, and they smash it hard out in
the clubland, they do everything. and they're not artists or djs.

oh, and i'm sorry for the long text & if i helped carrying this a bit off-topic... :)
i can remember when the air was clean and sex was dirty.
http://prop4g4nd4.com
astro
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by astro »

fact: m_nus stuff is (almost) always excellent.
why is that? everything they release perfectly balance concept and entertainment.
i mean, who doesn`t enjoy its ass out whenever a groovy intelligent m_nus track appears on a set when clubbing?
plus, who doesn`t think all those producers on the m_nus team are all talented people who use to surprise us with well composed stuff all the time? i find it almost impossible not to like m_nus releases. i think they`re maybe opening up a little, or heading towards something a little different, i don't really know, m_nus 40 and 42 are quite different from the 'usual' stuff, it hasn´t sound so 'revealing' to me.. (just thoughts)

@ nowayback: word.. it is clearly a feedback chain, besides, we all have defined our taste by listening those artists, so it is natural that we like what they do, and as long as they keep on doing good stuff, we`ll continue to like it i guess.

and to add, there are MANY parts of the world to which most minimal artists don`t often visit, for many very different reasons which all lead to not being able to enjoy nor get in touch with their music. downloading sets is the only way most of the times, abusing it hence getting bored is another issue...
zero.
idealstandard
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by idealstandard »

Alright. I'm not into m_nus. The last things I've bought and liked on this label was the Theorem Remix lp and the Niederflur one. Anyway.
The only thing that p*sses me off is this naked acceptation of the label. Each release on M_nus has to be perfect, start saying "Sorry, I don't like the release" and you're getting accused of bashing them as this would be some kind of new trend.

Honestly I don't give a sh*t about marketing strategy or wtf. Madonna is a marketing genious, as Mick Jagger, and as Michael Bolton too. I don't think I have to respect someone's abilities when it comes to make money or promote some music I'm not into. And I don't think I'm supposed to like something just because everybody think it's good.
Most of what I heard just sound the same to me, and it's way too far from what made me like minimal techno years ago.

Don't get me wrong on this one - I'm getting abit suspicious as someone nicely asked me to listen to Digweed on the board some times ago - but saying "this is boring" ain't playing hater or whatever IMO, this is just about personal tastes.
primevil
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by primevil »

Thomas D and Jack Thomas wrote:You're right. But Hawtin's famous words are "If you weren't there...you missed it."

You can do yourself a favor by not checking out the sets. Head out to the club and experience the music first-hand. Not only will the night be a more mindblowing experience but sht won't be old news when a new record comes out.
totally agree mate. i'm purposly not checking many live sets from the m-nus crew at the moment especially. like i said aswell, i dont think hawtin n magda are letting theres be recorded anyway. i'm quite happy to wait for a while to see them anyway, especially after the min2MAX night at lost a few months back....which was the best night ive ever been to :shock:

that will never be forgotton....spiritual!