like whales?

- open
Themis
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Themis »

so tell me infernal.techno why deserve humans rights?

cause if dolphins are not allowed rights cause of intelligence im really interested why you think humans have rights :)

btw: if you discover why it is not allowed to kill a human (intelligence has nothing to do with it) maybe someone discovers that the same is true for some animals ;D
Last edited by Themis on Sat Jul 03, 2010 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
infernal.techno
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by infernal.techno »

oblioblioblio wrote:

Much research that his been done shows that whales and dolphis have a level of intelligence way way beyond what humans are capable of. For exmaple, communicating by exchanging pictures... like some weird kind of biological tv/radio transmission. (!!!) I think we should learn from them instead of eat them.
This right here, 4th post in thread, is what brought us to the current topic of animal intelligence.
- matt
Themis
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Themis »

yeah thats also bs, cause who measures intelligence, we humans do, and no one else.

so its kind of subjective .. also the term intelligence is created by humans.

and the funny thing is, we cant agree on a accurate meaning for this term ... so that says alot about our communication :D
infernal.techno
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Themis wrote:so tell me infernal.techno why deserve humans rights?

cause if dolphins are not allowed rights cause of intelligence im really interested why you think humans have rights :)

btw: if you discover why it is not allowed to kill a human (intelligence has nothing to do with it) maybe someone discovers that the same is true for some animals ;D
I'm not saying other animals do not deserve rights at all. But it's hard for me to side with certain animals when all suffer in one way or another, including humans. One luxury most animals have that humans do not is innocence, which is mainly lost through our conception of currency. Money rules all, and it prohibits many human beings from living life as freely as others.

I hope I am not sounding too harsh. I am not trying to come across as not caring for whales or any other animals. I just think there seems to be some sort of imaginary line drawn and some animals have successfully been accepted (gained sympathy from humans) and some animals never will. :)
- matt
infernal.techno
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Themis wrote:yeah thats also bs, cause who measures intelligence, we humans do, and no one else.

so its kind of subjective .. also the term intelligence is created by humans.

and the funny thing is, we cant agree on a accurate meaning for this term ... so that says alot about our communication :D
Actually, I think the level of debate for topics such as intelligence ratings shows how diverse and complex our thinking can be ;)

Intelligence can be measured by the abilities and discerning qualities behind these abilities. Who knows, maybe dolphins have some secret underground lair where they communicate with alien lifeforms outside this galaxy. Since most of our ocean is unsearched, this could be! Maybe dolphins have life figured out as well. I'm not going to hold my breath, and I'm going to continue to enjoy the results of human advancements (at the moment, playing fifa for ps2. Eat it sea mammals ;) )
- matt
Themis
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Themis »

there is always the theoretical side of things and the practical ..

theoretical no human has any right to kill an animal

pratical we do it anyway cause its an easy way to get some food.

only for some creatures i would argue that its more pratical to not kill them. for example whales, cause there is no benefit in extermination ..

the problem with most of the discussions about this topic is, that people dont like this practical approach, they want a deeper reason for not killing whales for example.

and if they follow this deeper reason the outcome is everytime, that no animal should be killed, not only whales ..

but that would make them all murders everyday .. so they think further and come up with that intelligence argument. not knowing that this argument brings even more serious trouble..

people have to accept that they do moraly wrong things everyday and are mentally not strong enough to stop it :)
apanell
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by apanell »

the whole point of being a human is to destroy your environment. seriously! we exist because we have molded our environment to suit our needs. when you're human, there's no such thing as "sustainable living". we all live beyond the earth's means even if we avoid eating cow or even whale. for example, we have a sh!t load of plastics that ends up everywhere and people throw cigarette butts on the street and in parks. every part of our existence harms our ecology.

i read something that humans exist to increase the entropy of the universe. we are doing a good job at it, whales or not!
Themis
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Themis »

ah dont be so negative, humans have the great ability to overcome any of our flaws ;)