Post by Marvid »

habitueE wrote:I went from dj rush to dj koze
+1
Great one-liner that sums up my musical journey, too :D
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

Atheory wrote:oh, i don't know, it doesn't really matter anyway.

its just really a man complaining about how peoples taste is. i just think if someone needs to tell you what to listen to (or most importantly your tastes are coincidentally whats hot!hot!hot! on a blog or on ra) then what are you djing for? who are you djing for?

call me old fashioned but i like my djs with taste and a sense of history. my mam could read a blog, download tracks and dj with ableton. but she'd probably do it with a bit more humility than most people. you wouldn't catch her talking about "BOMBS!!!LOLZ!!!" or over using the effects with at pair of sunglasses on in the dead of winter. cause shes has dignity.
the internet has made a lot of people really lazy. i do go on RA maybe once a week but i never bother to read about stuff i don't know. thats probably how i missed the whole 'mannheim' thing. there support of mannheim and their review of freerotation proved to me how bad there taste is.
Shepherd_of_Anu
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Shepherd_of_Anu »

Atheory wrote:I really think you should start that blog. I've always thought it would be good to have a blog to did showcase the quality netlabel stuff that comes out because in my experience its really, really hard to find that stuff.

if you got some knowledge/love to spread, your obliged to do it.
if you need a hand with writing or anything, let me know, would be up for it and have some spare time.
Yeah, it can be a time consuming endeavor hunting for gold in the hills of netlabel country but sometimes it really does pay off. I am going to look into this whole blogging thing a bit more. It would be cool if I could find some blog software that would let you have multiple contributors who are focused on the same topic. It would be good to have direct links to specific tracks or maybe even a flash based player that stream the music from its location on the net to the viewer of the blog (provided its unzipped where its stored).

We should form a group of sonic sophisticates, true electronic aficionados dedicated to pushing good netlabel music. We will call ourselves... The Chin Stroke Collective. :)

hmm, we need a chin stroking smiley on here.
Atheory
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Atheory »

@tone

yeah, i do agree. i mean, some of the writers on resident advisor are good and i do enjoy the writing in some of the reviews, even if when i hear the tracks they aren't at all like what they were cracked up to be,

One thing about resident advisor, and its a fairly well known thing, is that the former editors (who were a man and a woman) they left as far as i've heard over the pulling and remarking of a review for some global underground type review. Because, and i think it was global underground, they pay for lots of ad banner space on the sight they had to rewrite it. So i think the editors left. Along with some writers.

I don't know how much you can read into that but it ask questions about their integrity and impartialness, you know, the things that good journalism is meant to be out. It can be a bit of a smug, self congratulatory website really but they are certainly very influential for artists and their podcast often provide visibility to someone starting out/underrated but i think some of their writers aren't up to much and they should review weirder records sometimes. But maybe they want to but theres only certain ones that get pulished on the site?

i'm not too familiar with it but from what i'v the forum is just like the youtube comments section.

@Shepherd: Yeah, you should investigate. Would be good to have a few people who cared as it would be easier to keep it varied and takes the pressure off.

As for my new years resolution, i am going to stop moaning about dance music in general. its boring.
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

@Atheory:
You are right about that RA story, but you could also say if it's fair to let a person review a release in a genre that the person really doesn't like.

I can see it from both sides.
Atheory
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Atheory »

yeah, thats a more than fair point.

its nothing new really that advertisers money has an effect on editorial, but i guess its more associated with bigger meda (bigger sums of money) than with music websites.

i wonder how much it would cost to buy a big feature and 4 star review there?
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

Atheory wrote:yeah, thats a more than fair point.

its nothing new really that advertisers money has an effect on editorial, but i guess its more associated with bigger meda (bigger sums of money) than with music websites.

i wonder how much it would cost to buy a big feature and 4 star review there?
It is not cheap, but if you look at the fact that they have more than 600.000 unique visitors per month, then maybe the price is quite fair. But it's not money that the small bedroom label pulls out of the sleeve, that's for sure.
Marcus Stork
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Marcus Stork »

Im starting to buy and play more old Techno now than a few years ago. Yesterday i was listening to alot of awesome Kanzleramt releases and stuff from Damon Wild and Steve Stoll from the mid / late 90´s. I know that i will play some of that sh!t during the coming weekend parties. But pitched down a bit.. :)