modular synthesis

- ask away
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

Torque wrote:
steevio wrote:
Torque wrote:I love modular synths just because of the super nerdyness of it all and i plan to build one myself one day. But as of right now i havent really heard any modular setups where the sound just wowed me. I guess it all comes down to the VCO.
bro the new VCOs coming out right now are awesome, best ive ever heard.
these guys are really taking it seriously.
sweet :)

who's got the hot sh!t?
probably the ones i cant afford at the moment - Livewire Audio Frequency Generator, and the Macbeth, but the Tiptop Z3000 is the best one ive got, i really rate it.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

I'm going with a small dedicated west coast flavour setup for the time being. 6u ... 2* Wiard Anti Oscillator, 2 * Wiard Envelator, 2 * Wiard Borg, Maths, Metasonix r51 and a load of Doepfer modules to do DC offset, polarising and small functional things.

Computer and voltage aren't the best friends but I think they can work ok together in time. Hopefully will be able to use both sides for their own individual strengths and get them on decent speaking terms. (max msp for processing voltage .. motu soundcard for physical voltage in and out and arduino board for 5v triggers maybe other stuff if I can work out how.

i will add another 3u when the limitations of this system becomes more apparant. and maybe sell a few things cos I've taken a few risks with some decisions.

exciting stuff.
Phase Ghost
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Phase Ghost »

http://navsmodularlab.blogspot.com/

This blog is a pretty good read. There's some okay sound demos also. Most of the demos for modular systems blow. Plus, youtube isn't exactly known for it's sonic capabilities.

I'm chomping at the bit until I can order my case, plus a few other modules on Friday. I'm already stretching the budget with a z3000, but I really want an AFG. Really. I've done my cart over 50 times at analog haven. lol. Good to see some more heads getting into it on here. I don't even have my system assembled yet and I'm already hooked. Peace to my savings. It's all Steevio's fault for posting that pic of his rig ;)
coldfuture
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by coldfuture »

Phase Ghost wrote:It's all Steevio's fault for posting that pic of his rig ;)
Yeah that and the extra tasty explanation of his plans for usage! It was while reading that that I realized that my goals/values are so the same when it comes to making minimal music... especially since I have recorded most of my music as live jams on my gear straight to track on the computer for the last 2 years. I try to go for minimal edits and overdubs by practicing the piece a few times.

Steevio made me realize how well a nice modular would work into my "acid philosophy" workflow.

Steevio, did you ever release on a label called Torque?
"Why does this process have to be SO complex" -- Ritardo Montalban
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

victorjohn wrote:
Phase Ghost wrote:It's all Steevio's fault for posting that pic of his rig ;)
Yeah that and the extra tasty explanation of his plans for usage! It was while reading that that I realized that my goals/values are so the same when it comes to making minimal music... especially since I have recorded most of my music as live jams on my gear straight to track on the computer for the last 2 years. I try to go for minimal edits and overdubs by practicing the piece a few times.

Steevio made me realize how well a nice modular would work into my "acid philosophy" workflow.

Steevio, did you ever release on a label called Torque?
haha sorry guys.

yeah Torque was my label in the late 1990's i started the label with a friend, and my productions were on the first 3 releases under the names Mindtours and Free Radicals.
it was quite hard stuff.
at the same time i had another label called Roost which i started in 1994 which was more acid techno.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

oblioblioblio wrote:I'm going with a small dedicated west coast flavour setup for the time being. 6u ... 2* Wiard Anti Oscillator, 2 * Wiard Envelator, 2 * Wiard Borg, Maths, Metasonix r51 and a load of Doepfer modules to do DC offset, polarising and small functional things.

Computer and voltage aren't the best friends but I think they can work ok together in time. Hopefully will be able to use both sides for their own individual strengths and get them on decent speaking terms. (max msp for processing voltage .. motu soundcard for physical voltage in and out and arduino board for 5v triggers maybe other stuff if I can work out how.

i will add another 3u when the limitations of this system becomes more apparant. and maybe sell a few things cos I've taken a few risks with some decisions.

exciting stuff.
haha mate, you just like the Celtic knotwork dont you ?
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

heheh. that's pretty much it, yep. :)

there's something about their design philosphy as well that I like. Well, I'm not gonna know for sure until it's all in my hands and I've got to know it better in person.
coldfuture
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by coldfuture »

steevio wrote:
victorjohn wrote: Steevio, did you ever release on a label called Torque?
haha sorry guys.

yeah Torque was my label in the late 1990's i started the label with a friend, and my productions were on the first 3 releases under the names Mindtours and Free Radicals.
it was quite hard stuff.
at the same time i had another label called Roost which i started in 1994 which was more acid techno.
SICK!!! I just pulled one of my favorite releases on Torque from the shelves a few days ago and listened to it. I had forgotten how much I liked this record. It was Free Radicals - Torque 003. I was bobbing around my studio, and decided to check the credits on my favorite track "Critical Mass" and lo and behold there you were in parenthesis!

Oh cool, I'll have to look out for some of that Roost stuff. I love acid techno, been making a lot of it myself again with the trusty 303.

I'll bet my buddy Max has some of those records... he has everything.
"Why does this process have to be SO complex" -- Ritardo Montalban