Who are the most influential Djs & producers of all time

- open
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

i read on another forum that this is the most advanced form of electronic music. your got to :lol:
shypht
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by shypht »

Don't hate on Skazi, he's the bestest-ever!!!

I used to be really into Psytrance, then it seemed like that style was getting to be the most popular/only type of stuff you could find - and I lost interest.

Not as much into psy now, but thankfully that particular sub-genre isnt as popular as it used to be anymore.
miniKAT
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by miniKAT »

Hes not doing sh!t....

I liked this kinda sh!t a long time ago, until I heard Live at the liquid room. That was the end of that.

Shpongel / Hallucinogen was pretty good though.
shypht
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by shypht »

(momentary thread-derail)
Simon Posford has some pretty crazy stuff.

I still enjoy stuff like Midi Milliz / Spirallianz, PPS Project, Sensient. There also seems to be allot of newer psy that falls into more of a techy/proggy feel that can have quite a bit of crossover with techno.

There were quite a few bookings at Eclipse (big psytrance Festival in Quebec) that were not too far removed from sounding like minimal techno. Wish I went this year - went last year and had a blast.

Although some of the DJs were horrible - 140bpm remixes of the Police at 6am = not enjoyable.

A local DJ (Basilisk) can tend to play stuff that floats between melodic proggy-psy/techno. link to his set from eclipse this year

tracklist:
01 :: Dominik Eulberg - Sansula (Max Cooper's Lost In Sound Mix) [Traum Schallplatten]
02 :: Gui Boratto - Matroyshka [Nervous Records]
03 :: SHIN - Folger (Robert Babicz's Feeling Good Remix) [Yellow Tail]
04 :: Fuzzion - Free Tibet [Boshke Beats]
05 :: Extrawelt - Mit Liese Auf Der Wiese [Traum Schallplatten]
06 :: Moonbeam - Night Traffic [Traum Schallplatten]
07 :: Eelke Kleijn - It All Comes Together (Fiord Remix) [Audio Therapy]
08 :: Max Cooper - Harmonisch Serie [Traum Schallplatten]
09 :: AstroNivo - Nature Of Destiny (Brisker & Magitman Remix) [EchoPlast]
10 :: Dubfire vs Oliver Huntemann - Diablo [Cocoon Recordings]
11 :: Fuzzion - Closer [Boshke Beats]
12 :: Fiord - Get Up Jude (Beckers Remix) [eVapour8 Recordings]
13 :: AstroNivo - Blast Out [Blue Tunes Records]
14 :: Dusty Kid - Lynchesque [Boxer Recordings]
15 :: Tegma - Twister [Tribal Vision Records]
16 :: AstroNivo - From Here [Flow Vinyl]
17 :: RPO & David Weed - Industry (Perfect Stranger Remix) [Tribal Vision Records]
18 :: Riktam & Bansi - Ride The Snake [Plastik Park]
19 :: Audio Junkies - Dark Side Of The Mood [Vertikal Records]
20 :: AstroNivo - Bonanza (SQL Remix) [Tribal Vision Records]
21 :: Beckers & Hatfield - You're Not Me (Fiord Remix) [Sprout Music]
22 :: Tom Hades - Cinema Club (Wehbba Remix) [Stolen Moments]
23 :: Ido Ophir & Miki Litvak - Shnorkel [eVapour8 Recordings]
24 :: D-Nox & Beckers - Son Of A Pitch [Systematic Recordings]
(end of thread derail)

Back on topic:

What about the likes of Delia Derbyshire? Sure, she wasn't pumping out techno or minimal in the traditional sense - but some of the stuff that her and the BBC Radiophonic workshop was pretty heady and very cool.

They were all a bunch of innovators at sound manipulation, and some of the concepts they were using and types of sounds they have produced have surely influenced people.
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

shypht wrote: I still enjoy stuff like Midi Milliz / Spirallianz, PPS Project, Sensient. There also seems to be allot of newer psy that falls into more of a techy/proggy feel that can have quite a bit of crossover with techno.

There were quite a few bookings at Eclipse (big psytrance Festival in Quebec) that were not too far removed from sounding like minimal techno. Wish I went this year - went last year and had a blast.
minimal had a massive influence on just about everything this decade. just because they jumped on the minimal bandwagon doesn't make them good. i a few years it will sound a bit like deep house or dub techno.
shypht
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by shypht »

I know minimal has influenced most genres of music the past while. I just find it interesting the influence it's making in the psy-scene now. Mostly because psytrance was the first genre that got me really hooked on electronic music.

In the late 90s/early 2000s - you had a few producers in the psy-scene doing more of what I'd consider 'psychedelic techno' that had more of a techy vibe. But that type of style didn't seem to make it big and for awhile the full-on/night-trance got huge and some of the buttrock stuff (Skazi & co)

I used to like the super-crazy psytrance, but after awhile it got to be too much, wasnt enjoying the parties as much - and started to get exposed to house / techno / electro / minimal which then lead me to my current musical tastes.

I found it interesting to

- start hearing names pop-up in techno-sets that I recognized from psytrance
- started to see more people at techno/minimal parties that I recognized from psytrance parties when generally a year or two prior, there wasn't much overlap in the two scenes.

There is still loads of crap-psytrance, but coming from a psytrance-background as my intro to the scene, its neat to see the influences play off of each other - especially with producers/djs/labels I recognized for their psytrance work bringing a bit of psychedelic influence to techno & minimal.

it's all pretty cyclical - certian genres raise/fall in popularity, some genres influence some more than others, some go off in their own tangents for awhile until they start to get influenced by other things.
infernal.techno
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by infernal.techno »

miniKAT wrote:
Hes not doing sh!t....

I liked this kinda sh!t a long time ago, until I heard Live at the liquid room. That was the end of that.

Shpongel / Hallucinogen was pretty good though.
Lol. Simon Posford has recently become "relevant" in the american festival scene...druggies/hippies love him. I saw him once when I was younger and did actually go into it with some psychedelic help...I thought it was terrible.

Music that fast and out of control is not attractive. Slow it down and listen to production quality and you will see a considerable amount of psytrance is crap.
- matt
shypht
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by shypht »

Simon posford has quite a few projects - some good, some not so good.

But yeah, there is allot of really bad psy-trance. They seem to love taking the cheeze-factor to an extreme.

When I do make it out to a psy-festival, I tend to enjoy the stuff thats played in the early morning/afternoon - slows down a bit and has a nice chuggyness to it. The peak-time full-on stuff, bleh - I can do without that these days.