how did you start listening to minimal music?

- open
schlupfer
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by schlupfer »

kazu kimura in the early to mid 90's playing minimal, looped techno

mike bishop lent me a double vinyl of isolee 'beau mot plage' in '00

hawtin de9 (ctte)

done.
JACK you boys!
cap'n can't get right
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by cap'n can't get right »

been going out since '94 - Simon's in Gainesville, FL

Ricardo Villalobos at DC10 + Rich @ S'Estanyola got me hooked on "minimal"
Deef
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Deef »

a richie hawtin set @ i love techno many years ago
colmenares
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by colmenares »

ironically enough I heard a Robag Wruhme track on Sander Kleinenberg's Everybody Too Compilation and started researching on this sound and now I can't get enough of it
Future Collective FTW!

http://colectivofuturo.com
souat
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by souat »

this summer cocoon@amnesia turn me on.
Sipe
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Sipe »

When I was about 11, I was a little trancecracker, fed by the late night hit music stations that were my only exposure to the electronic sound. My mom wanted to buy me a cd, so I told her to get me a "techno" CD. I used it as the media did, as a grouping for everything electronic as opposed to the specific genre, not even knowing the differences between genres at the time. So my mom walks into a record store, and asks a young lady employed by the facility what she would recommend as a good "techno" CD. The female (obviously into the electronic) directs my mother to "Plastikman - Sheet One" and she buys it. When i listened to it I couldn't understand what the hell was on that CD. It was a bunch of drums and noises and oddness that wasn't the cookie cutter anthems my young mind was expecting. So, I put it away.

Fast forward. The Detroit Electronic Music Festival influences my tastes heavily, and I was (and am) filled with a sort of unexplainable pride that my city was responsible for the music that I take so much pleasure in listening to. Kevin Saunderson, Juan Atkins and Derrick May are my heroes. I stumble upon Sheet One again. I sit and listen to it. Over and over. The more I listen, the more I discover about the song, all the subtle changes, the slight alterations that change the song entirely. I can feel it. I can understand the Plastikman. I move on. I discover more Detroit techno, and minimal techno, and all sorts of techno and house and ambient and jungle and hardcore but my favorite genre to this day is the detroit and minimal sound.

Looking back, I want to marry that girl in the store that day. If I ever go anywhere with my music, I will give her recognition in the insert of an album.
"The techno sound of detroit [...] lacking any human musicianship in its execution reeks of sweat, sex and desire. The creators of that music just press a few buttons and out comes - a million years of pain and lust." ~ The JAMs
Deef
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Deef »

Sipe wrote:When I was about 11, I was a little trancecracker, fed by the late night hit music stations that were my only exposure to the electronic sound. My mom wanted to buy me a cd, so I told her to get me a "techno" CD. I used it as the media did, as a grouping for everything electronic as opposed to the specific genre, not even knowing the differences between genres at the time. So my mom walks into a record store, and asks a young lady employed by the facility what she would recommend as a good "techno" CD. The female (obviously into the electronic) directs my mother to "Plastikman - Sheet One" and she buys it. When i listened to it I couldn't understand what the hell was on that CD. It was a bunch of drums and noises and oddness that wasn't the cookie cutter anthems my young mind was expecting. So, I put it away.

Fast forward. The Detroit Electronic Music Festival influences my tastes heavily, and I was (and am) filled with a sort of unexplainable pride that my city was responsible for the music that I take so much pleasure in listening to. Kevin Saunderson, Juan Atkins and Derrick May are my heroes. I stumble upon Sheet One again. I sit and listen to it. Over and over. The more I listen, the more I discover about the song, all the subtle changes, the slight alterations that change the song entirely. I can feel it. I can understand the Plastikman. I move on. I discover more Detroit techno, and minimal techno, and all sorts of techno and house and ambient and jungle and hardcore but my favorite genre to this day is the detroit and minimal sound.

Looking back, I want to marry that girl in the store that day. If I ever go anywhere with my music, I will give her recognition in the insert of an album.
super story :)

as i posted before, it all started with a richie hawtin set at i love techno. he was banging like hell back in the days and i found it really great. so when i discovered his alter ego plastikman, i thought by myself "what kind of boring crap is this?"
it's just that i wasn't ... 'mature' enough to appreciate that kind of music. :)
FreaKske
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by FreaKske »

i think it must been around 1998 when i was 14 years old.... in these day's i listen to techno music beyer, carola, umek, liebing.... the harder techno
after that i discoverd the DE9 project when i went to a set played by hawtin on i love techno (2000 i think)... i luved it so much.. this was the point for me to buy my first 12" (http://e.discogs.com/release/2145)
i bought almost every m_nus i could... cuz the sound was something ...i never heard or could discribed before
later then i discoverd many other nice labels like Pokerflat,Trapez,Playhouse,Perlon, ...

Now those day's i didn't reallized i played mnml music ... for me it was just techno, only played a little bit slower... :)
....Mnml...tEcHnO...Is...cUlTuRe...aNd...cUlTuRe...lIvEs.....PeaCe....