The UK Scene

- open
hotpace
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hotpace »

PsyTox wrote:
tone-def wrote:
PsyTox wrote: Too bad you brits can't brew a decent beer if your lives depended on it, but apart from that: love the country. :lol:
what do you consider to be good beer? Stella Artois?
oh please. That's just the stuff we piss out after we drank the better stuff ;) Stella is just like Heineken: a beer that's made more to fit in commercially (not too difficult sort of speak, to make sure as many people as possible can drink it). That's why f.e. they lowered the alcohol percentage, simply because that way it would be less 'heavy' for big markets like Uk or US.
It's not bad, but nothing close to the real deal: Westvleteren. Duvel. Leffe,.... And for the more basic everyday drinking: Vedett. Maes. Jupiler. Hoegaarden.
Or if you really want to get completely pissed: Oerbier or Delirium Tremens. Great beer but after a few you'll start believing your mother-in-law looks like Carmen Elektra and there's possibly some serious singing and other weird scenes involved.

But that's not the topic innit :)
it is off topic but I must just say, I've only tried Hoegaarden & Leffe from your list but I dislike them both. I also don't like Stella I must add! I'm rather partial to German beers. Will look out for the others on your list though!
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

tone-def wrote:
clubfoot wrote:
::BLM:: wrote: ... for some reason we are never in the limelight. So much focus on other scenes, but the UK has never really sorted itself out.
that's because people in the UK are often too busy being jealous/wary of other people and protecting their own sh!t from other people getting a piece, rather than sharing and coming together. that doesn't really make a scene, imo.
if think your confusing the UK with Detroit.
yeah I've found that the uk can be a really collaborative and friendly place. but I suppose there's probably a lot of rubbishness around.

The thing that Atheory said about the focus on more urban kinda scenes is signficant imo. Techno/house always seems to be moving forward but never really getting too much exposure.

But yeah definitely I would say that the UK can be a pretty cool place. Loads of friendly people dotted about.
PsyTox
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by PsyTox »

hotpace wrote: I'm rather partial to German beers. Will look out for the others on your list though!
Germans definitely have excellent stuff :)

Anyway, also found the remark about UK being protective a bit strange. This happens a lot in belgium, but everytime I got into contact with someone in the UK I usually get friendly and cooperative people. And at the same time people who really know where they want to take their projects, which is a professional attitude I kinda like. Keep your eye on the ball sort of.
Alex M
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Alex M »

Belgian beer is the best!
Big fan of Leffe, hoegarden and delirium tremens.

For Londoners wanting to try dozens (literally) of belgian beers head off to the dove pub in Broadway market.
They've got loads of Belgian beers, bottled and draught. TIP!

Sorry OT... :P
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

you get a real mix of people in London. i've met a lot of really nice people who always like to talk but there's also a lot of people who are a bit up their own backsides, who think they own the place because they run some crappy night or label.
i had a bit of a bad experience with someone last week. this guy who i go uni with is doing pretty well for himself, he's running a label and involved with the running of an up and coming bar in London. so i thought i'd talk a bit of business with him as i'm getting closer to starting my label. his new label recently got on beatport so i asked "what's the best way of getting on there" and his reply was "you wont get on there. we got on there because we're a good label". what a prick! the conversation went on a bit more and by the end i wanted to smack him. but i thought if he's acting like this after less than a year i don't think he'll be about for long. his label isn't even good.
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

tone-def wrote:you get a real mix of people in London. i've met a lot of really nice people who always like to talk but there's also a lot of people who are a bit up their own backsides, who think they own the place because they run some crappy night or label.
i had a bit of a bad experience with someone last week. this guy who i go uni with is doing pretty well for himself, he's running a label and involved with the running of an up and coming bar in London. so i thought i'd talk a bit of business with him as i'm getting closer to starting my label. his new label recently got on beatport so i asked "what's the best way of getting on there" and his reply was "you wont get on there. we got on there because we're a good label". what a prick! the conversation went on a bit more and by the end i wanted to smack him. but i thought if he's acting like this after less than a year i don't think he'll be about for long. his label isn't even good.
Who you talking about?
vermi
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by vermi »

PsyTox wrote:
tone-def wrote:
PsyTox wrote: Too bad you brits can't brew a decent beer if your lives depended on it, but apart from that: love the country. :lol:
what do you consider to be good beer? Stella Artois?
oh please. That's just the stuff we piss out after we drank the better stuff ;) Stella is just like Heineken: a beer that's made more to fit in commercially (not too difficult sort of speak, to make sure as many people as possible can drink it). That's why f.e. they lowered the alcohol percentage, simply because that way it would be less 'heavy' for big markets like Uk or US.
It's not bad, but nothing close to the real deal: Westvleteren. Duvel. Leffe,.... And for the more basic everyday drinking: Vedett. Maes. Jupiler. Hoegaarden.
Or if you really want to get completely pissed: Oerbier or Delirium Tremens. Great beer but after a few you'll start believing your mother-in-law looks like Carmen Elektra and there's possibly some serious singing and other weird scenes involved.

But that's not the topic innit :)
you forgot to mention that red beer that tastes like cherry or something. that's awesome stuff ;)
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

i don't want to go name calling on a public forum. i'll get in trouble :)