fck BEATPORT...

- open
Torque
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Torque »

tone-def wrote: I agree, i'm planning on starting a label and really want to do vinyl. I'm just doing my own thing and am really confident in what i'm doing but with the global recession and vinyl prices going up (don't know about the rest of the world) i wonder if it's harder then ever to start selling vinyl. Are these things affecting vinyl sales? Do i play it safe and do a few digital releases first or just risk losing everything and go with the format i love?
The main trick is to not print up more than you know you can sell at minimum. It's also a good practice to have enough to press up two records so you can drop the next one without a huge gap of time in between. By the time your money is coming back from both records you should have enough to press up a third if you can't keep the ball rolling after 3 records then there's a good chance you're just not making the kind of stuff that people are looking for at that moment, this is where the risk is. If you think your instincts are good, you know what people want and you have that then you have a good shot at making at least a name for yourself.

Don't forget though, the real money isn't in making the music, the real loot comes from playing gigs. If you just change your mindset and think of the record label as a marketing expense and vehicle then you're on the right track.
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

i have no idea how many records i would sell. Do people buy deep and funky? i guess the sound i'm going for is similar to Yore and FXHE.
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

tone-def wrote:i have no idea how many records i would sell. Do people buy deep and funky? i guess the sound i'm going for is similar to Yore and FXHE.
Your sound is similar to Leifs is it not? You got to remember that you're not Andy Vaz (Yore) or Omar S so you're not going to be selling anywhere near what they do. Omar said he does an ltd of 1000 which is quite large really, but he has a lot of hype around him. Personally I think anywhere between 300-800 units would be a realistic target for vinyl.
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

yeah it was similar to leif, but things are changing. Of course i'm a nobody, i did good at the netlabel thing :P

I can get a good deal on 500 records.
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

The thing is giving something away for free (net label) and selling something (vinyl) is completely different. Leif was telling me how his free Thinner release did like 2000+ downloads, which should not be expected when people are paying. The big labels Cecille/8bit etc…are only just about hitting that when it comes to downloads.

Don’t bother pressing anything up until you have sorted out a distribution deal.

http://www.straight-distribution.de/htdocs/c3view.php

They are accepting at the moment. Just send them future releases to see what they say.
Torque
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Torque »

Distribution is nice thing to have but you really don't have to as long as you know what shops are partial to your kind of music you can solicit them with one sheets and all that sh!t on your own if you have to. You could always just come up with a name for your own distributor and do this. it's not hard it's just leg work. Don't let any of that stuff stop you, just make it happen.
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Torque wrote:Distribution is nice thing to have but you really don't have to as long as you know what shops are partial to your kind of music you can solicit them with one sheets and all that sht on your own if you have to. You could always just come up with a name for your own distributor and do this. it's not hard it's just leg work. Don't let any of that stuff stop you, just make it happen.
Thing is if you do it on your own the shops are only going to take records on a sale or return basis, which believe me is a right fck on. I have a ltd label and do it with that and its such a pain. Getting a distro is a much easier way to do things. It would also help you get on Beatport which is where you wanna be as well.
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

How much more would you make per record if you cut out the middleman?