What have you sacrificed or lost through making music?

- ask away
dan_g
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by dan_g »

steevio wrote:i analyse everything, and not only techno, every kind of music.
the same way here. so many times i think: why is modern "pop" music so badly produced ?? if you look at the drum patterns, the melody, even the song lyrics sound the same. can't there be progression in this area of producing.

greets

dan_g
Castronova
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Castronova »

steevio wrote:
Castronova wrote:
steevio wrote:
dan_g wrote:hi there,

since i produce my own music, i discovered that i can't enjoy music the way i did before. i analyse every single part of a song in my mind. what has he used to achive "that" sound and which drummachine "that" would be. thats sometimes just very very exhausing. the more i listen to a single song the more i'm trying to understand, how its produced. sometimes i want to shut down my brain for the length of a song only to listen to the song and enjoy the musical aspect of it. i can't describe this feeling any better, but i'm sure there are more with the same problem out there.

hope you understand

greets and respect

dan_g
you bet, it's a nightmare sometimes.
i analyse everything, and not only techno, every kind of music.
Me too. I guess "ignorance is bliss", because music was much more blissful when I didn't understand the processes involved and wasn't trying to figure out every chord used. At the same time, it can be very fun to deconstruct a song, but it's really hard to switch off that kind of [over]analyzation once you've got it.
dude did i meet you when i played in osaka in march ?
Maybe. What was the event/venue?
Dusk
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Dusk »

luminous wrote: studying great art keeps you in good relationship with the spirit and this is in my opinion a key to make something really special and timeless.
This made alot of sense to me. My understanding of "spirit" in your words is of an overall aesthetic sensibility. In other words, the common thread that binds together all worthwhile human creativity in striving for beauty.

A pounding 4/4 kick played through a powerful system is beautiful in its own way.
Some music:
www.myspace.com/cloakmusic

Reviews, news and more:
www.inverted-audio.co.uk
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

Castronova wrote:
steevio wrote:
Castronova wrote:
steevio wrote:
dan_g wrote:hi there,

since i produce my own music, i discovered that i can't enjoy music the way i did before. i analyse every single part of a song in my mind. what has he used to achive "that" sound and which drummachine "that" would be. thats sometimes just very very exhausing. the more i listen to a single song the more i'm trying to understand, how its produced. sometimes i want to shut down my brain for the length of a song only to listen to the song and enjoy the musical aspect of it. i can't describe this feeling any better, but i'm sure there are more with the same problem out there.

hope you understand

greets and respect

dan_g
you bet, it's a nightmare sometimes.
i analyse everything, and not only techno, every kind of music.
Me too. I guess "ignorance is bliss", because music was much more blissful when I didn't understand the processes involved and wasn't trying to figure out every chord used. At the same time, it can be very fun to deconstruct a song, but it's really hard to switch off that kind of [over]analyzation once you've got it.
dude did i meet you when i played in osaka in march ?
Maybe. What was the event/venue?
i think it was called Sound Channel, i think it was march 22nd.
ive got a bad memory for remembering peoples names at gigs. faces ok.
Castronova
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Castronova »

Nah, I don't think I went to Sound Channel that month. That would've been pretty crazy though!
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

luminous wrote:unique topic! glad to see there so many people who struggle a lot and have really wide understanding of this subject,without sacrifice and suffering there is no true art

from myself i'll add one thing - read (great) books,watch (great) movies,study great art - we are not the first who have this kind of problems and looking back to labyrinth of human thoughts and discovering the timeless phrases hidden in it can really give us a strength to go this path with somewhat like blink of an eye from the masters - then you really know that you are in right place and direction. studying great art keeps you in good relationship with the spirit and this is in my opinion a key to make something really special and timeless.

my point is that there are many similar areas in all form of art worth cheking out,besides sacrifice matter through books you can easily find answers to questions that are in our belief strictly musical issue. at the point when i had the biggest crisis in my musical (and 'normal') life and was thinking about quiting i step upon henry miller and discover and read all of his inspiring works - it made me back to music with a lot more deeper interest than before.

so widen up your mindspace by other art than music can help i guess, and you can get that feeling of vacation from music, but in fact staying with it all the time.
great post and some great recommendations.

appreciating and consuming art from outside our own field is great. for me, i can appreciate it more on it's own terms without feeling the need to deconstruct & analyse as I do with music, which is a refreshing and regenerating thing that we often remove ourselves from by turning music into a functional quest. Also, it is a good way to find inspiration, seeing how one person has attempted to create their artistic vision and direct attention through a particular medium. There are parallels everywhere, from a painter meticulously handcrafting textural details, to an author who uses a highly non linear narrative structure (a good example of this one is 'catch 22' by Joseph Heller, the way he tells a tiny snippet of a story.. enough to capture the attention but not give you the full picture.. before moving on to something else entirely and then gradually filling in the picture later on when you're not expecting it. very similar to how some minimal techno works i think.

however, even after spending a lifetime laboriously catalogueing and analysing music, it is still possible to approach it from the perspective of a 'normal' listener. There are ways in which it is possible to forget everything you know and approach things from a very fresh perspective. Perhaps through meditative dancing or other ways to coax the concious mind out of it's regular habitat and into a novel state.
jabar2
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by jabar2 »

steevio wrote:
Dusk wrote:
async wrote:Dear Dusk,
It's important to make time to further your art, but you should think about what's important to you as a person and focus on that.

I certainly gave up on the myth of "making it" with electronic music a long time ago. I think that was a turning point because from there, focussing on career and other things becomes a realised necessity and so the lifestyle duality starts. It's just that when youre younger you can effectively marginalise those other things in your life. The older you get, the balance inexorably shifts and it becomes harder to be swallowed whole in the act of making music.

This is the crossroads and if you go one way, I suppose there is still time to reclaim a "conventional" life - go the other... well, god knows. The creative void and all that can be lost or won.

This is really about questioning something core about yourself, something that has been the only stable, certain thing you had - does this even make me happy? Am I focussing on the wrong things? Thats a pretty destabilising experience because you're talking (in my case) around 10 years of personal bedrock, a decade of personal orientation.
one thing i can give you is don't let the age issue come into it.
its hard to imagine when you're in your early twenties that you could be doing the same thing in your early fifties and still be taken seriously, but thats what i'm doing. (well not so sure about being taken seriously) i was in a punk band at age 21, i released my first techno tune at age 37, and i'm still making EDM 15 years later.
as a musician, time becomes malleable.
dont let the illusory and claustrophobic rules of society deflect you from your heart.
here's a quote from my bathroom wall;

'' Whatever you dream you can do, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. Begin it now.'' - Goethe
i think i will put that qoute on my wall as well steevio. i'm 27 now and i just started making music and djing even if i wanted to do it and was thinking about it for about 10 years. the only reason i didn't do it earlier was that i couldn't afford it. i left my country 3 years ago with the intention to make my dream come true. and i did it. when i made my first track after a week in fruity loops i was the most happy person in the world and i had tears in eyes. it wasn't anything special but i knew i'v got potential.now i'v got lots of ideas, the tracks already in my head but not so much practice yet to do it in DAW.

before i started i doubed very often if it's that what i should do. i thought maybe if i'm that old and i'm not doing it yet so maybe it's not my destiny but i just couldn't not to try. now i know i want to do it and i know i will reach one day everything what i always wanted. i'm not doing it for money but if music would give me enough money to live like i live at the moment i would make it my main job. anyway, i'v got lots of work to do now to catch up on my lost years:)
hi there,

i did it long before i started to make music. it was magic for me:) i always wanted to know how they do it,was analyzing every part of the song:)

peace:)