modular synthesis

- ask away
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

actually no lets not be saying anything negative ......not constructive
Last edited by steevio on Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

Yeah its Deadmau5 he makes the worst music ever, but from a gearslut point of view he has the minerals. he also has buchla and a few other modulars.
Phase Ghost
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Phase Ghost »

Dude's got a nice studio. Not sure why he's using all black cables though. I always wonder why anyone would buy all one color. I would get seriously confused if I didn't have different colors. In fact, I want more colors.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

Phase Ghost wrote:Dude's got a nice studio. Not sure why he's using all black cables though. I always wonder why anyone would buy all one color. I would get seriously confused if I didn't have different colors. In fact, I want more colors.
yeah more colours please (especially the stackcables)

the limited colour stackcables have really screwed with my sad obsessional colour coding system.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

modular tourist

(re: deadmau5 video)
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

steevio wrote:actually no lets not be saying anything negative ......not constructive
i dont think it's that desctructive to be critical of the guy.

for me, modular isn't about buying every piece of gear you can think of and then making novelty patterns using a $100,000 studio.

Becuase he's high profile it gets a lot of exposure. But the videos of the guys with simple relatively cheap setups doing interesting innovative music with feeling don't get a look in, and it reinforces the idea that modular is just expensive toys, and not functional innovative tools.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ja2wqXnrIY4
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

oblioblioblio wrote:
steevio wrote:actually no lets not be saying anything negative ......not constructive
i dont think it's that desctructive to be critical of the guy.

for me, modular isn't about buying every piece of gear you can think of and then making novelty patterns using a $100,000 studio.

Becuase he's high profile it gets a lot of exposure. But the videos of the guys with simple relatively cheap setups doing interesting innovative music with feeling don't get a look in, and it reinforces the idea that modular is just expensive toys, and not functional innovative tools.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ja2wqXnrIY4
i agree,
but still i dont think a production forum is the place to criticise someone's music. i saw another video of him a while back, and he didnt look like a had a clue what he was doing.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

steevio wrote:but still i dont think a production forum is the place to criticise someone's music.
yeah very true.

that other video he posted was pretty embarrassing. i think that highlife of fame from music is pretty dangerous. Lets hope he takes a step back and does some great music with all those machines.