- ask away
Measax
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Measax »

sorgenkind wrote:
steevio wrote:
sorgenkind wrote:aargh!
this post made me wanting to go back to my roots, hardware only.
I started without computer, then I jumped on the DAW wagon but now I feel like I want to go back to hardware only and reading those posts I just want it more...
I can see myself doing some prep work with the computer like sound editing and sculpting and whatnot and then load everything in my mpc, get some little hardware synths and effects, small mixer and doing hardware only live acts.
It's a costy way....
do it brother !!!!!!!!!!
i'm so sick of seeing guys standing behind ableton in their own little worlds. i have to do it myself every now and then, and i feel so conspicuously crap, but when i take my hardware out on the road, i feel like i'm giving people their moneys worth.
when i was in a band we used to carry a van full of heavy gear because there was no other way, so popping a few bits of kit in your car is no big deal in comparison, and the cost ? used gear isn't all that expensive really, it's absolutely worth it !!!
:shock: i have no car :shock:
:idea: need to get some groupies to carry my stuff around

i feel the same as you when I play with laptop only, but at least I dance and shout while performing to bring a bit of life into it, a mouse and a midi controller don't make it.
I think a nice mix is the way to go...ableton on a computer with some well routed drum machines...I really like how Krikor does live PA...That dude is on point.
sorgenkind
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by sorgenkind »

last time I saw krikor he only had a powerbook, not even a mouse, nice music but really anonymous performance, but that was last year, how's he playing now?
sorgenkind
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by sorgenkind »

so I decided to go the "empty wallet way" and got yesterday an mpc1000 black (was using a friend's 2000xl) and next month:

arp axxe

http://www.synthmuseum.com/arp/arpaxxe01.jpg
4am
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by 4am »

Measax wrote:
sorgenkind wrote:
steevio wrote:
sorgenkind wrote:aargh!
this post made me wanting to go back to my roots, hardware only.
I started without computer, then I jumped on the DAW wagon but now I feel like I want to go back to hardware only and reading those posts I just want it more...
I can see myself doing some prep work with the computer like sound editing and sculpting and whatnot and then load everything in my mpc, get some little hardware synths and effects, small mixer and doing hardware only live acts.
It's a costy way....
do it brother !!!!!!!!!!
i'm so sick of seeing guys standing behind ableton in their own little worlds. i have to do it myself every now and then, and i feel so conspicuously crap, but when i take my hardware out on the road, i feel like i'm giving people their moneys worth.
when i was in a band we used to carry a van full of heavy gear because there was no other way, so popping a few bits of kit in your car is no big deal in comparison, and the cost ? used gear isn't all that expensive really, it's absolutely worth it !!!
:shock: i have no car :shock:
:idea: need to get some groupies to carry my stuff around

i feel the same as you when I play with laptop only, but at least I dance and shout while performing to bring a bit of life into it, a mouse and a midi controller don't make it.
I think a nice mix is the way to go...ableton on a computer with some well routed drum machines...I really like how Krikor does live PA...That dude is on point.
+1

sorry sorgenkind :wink:

i also like krikor's livesets :mrgreen:
trak660
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by trak660 »

relative q wrote:
steevio wrote:SY77 's were wicked at propping the studio door open in hot weather !!
Funny, that's the only thing I've ever used an SY77 for... Then again, my CS-50 is also really good for that (and saving money at the gym).
omg :lol: SY77's weigh a TON! :)
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

SY77's feel like they're made out of helium-filled polystyrene compared to a CS50, it's almost impossible to lift one on your own :roll:
trak660
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by trak660 »

steevio wrote:SY77's feel like they're made out of helium-filled polystyrene compared to a CS50, it's almost impossible to lift one on your own :roll:
Hardware producers have to work out just to be able to set up their own gear! :lol:
Measax
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Measax »

sorgenkind wrote:last time I saw krikor he only had a powerbook, not even a mouse, nice music but really anonymous performance, but that was last year, how's he playing now?
last saw him (beatport tent demf) he had a full setup...32 channel, a couple Drum sythns/machines (303), effects boxes, microphone etc. I have a 30 sec. video clip..I will post it on youtube this week (Its not the best quality but you can see the setup).