Is Minus becoming the Get Physical of minimal?

- wax
crisp
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by crisp »

Beatport is just great! New labels (big and small) are added every week, 320 kbps mp3 made from the masters. Didnt buy one vinyl since i discoverd serato and beatport!

An mp3 is a relative lowcost product, (no distributors are needed, no artwork, no production cost,....) , this combined with the fact that there is no limit in downloading , i think independant labels will be able to make bigger profits then they do now with vinyl. Eventually this will be healty for the entire dance community wich was taken over by moneyhorny bastards! There is again a punky DIY attidude comming from it with netlabels and stuff, the future of techno looks good!! :D
crisp
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by crisp »

mokaz wrote:
TroySilver wrote: ...but IMO the advantage of BeatPort far overshadows the standard problems associated with collecting vinyl.
My vinyl collection can handle a harddrive crash...

my mp3 collection to, since its stored entirely in 4 different places.
TroySilver
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by TroySilver »

Crisp just beat me to the punch. Storing your MP3s on a backup FireWire drive is cheap and effective.

I just got a 250GB drive for $150. if I need more, Ill buy another and chain it. Done.
crisp
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by crisp »

TroySilver wrote:Crisp just beat me to the punch. Storing your MP3s on a backup FireWire drive is cheap and effective.

I just got a 250GB drive for $150. if I need more, Ill buy another and chain it. Done.
150 euro, yup thats the equivalent of just 15 twelve inches :lol:
'gameover'
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by 'gameover' »

what i love bout my m-nus records, is that they smells like strawberry :lol:
Cans
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Cans »

dom
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by dom »

well,

everything started from marc houle - restore ep on minus. then m_nus sound changed almost cardinally. imho M_nus tracks become more psychedelic, darkgrooved, as i call it "ketamine sound" :) some producers such as troy, crosson started to produce that kind sound tracks. djs like magda, r. hawtin did the most promotion in parties of this new sound and bang!! new 'minimal explotion' :)

i did not had anything against it until it became 'm_nus sound epidemy' on all my favorite labels and artists :] for e.g. compare "Slg - Quarter Past Eleven" and "Slg - Nine Hours" EPs. Trapez used to be microhouse oriented, now thats m_nus styled house :?
so thats my point of view about that.

*ps. its my subjective opinion and sorry for grammar mistakes
primevil
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by primevil »

jorgeds wrote:
bazz001 wrote:I realise that this is a good marketing angle and generates alot of interest for the records (and no doubt makes them sell alot more copies) but by the time they are available I'm usually sick of hearing them :? .
The best way to avoid this is not to download and listen every day to the new 'hot' Richie, Magda or Troy set that is around. If people wouldn't be doing that, they wouldn't get tired of hearing them IMHO, and would be fresher at the time they arrive to the stores. Which is the need to be listening to those sets all the time, in my personal case i like to listen to them but my priorities are not to check what Magda played in XXXX Club, but check the lot of records that came out every week, make tracks and lot of other things that take a lot of time. I think that things are more important for a DJ/Producer than checking what they played, of course they're great DJs, play great tracks and the guys 'create' information everytime, but what makes them unique is not just that, it's how they handle the crowd and read the club atmosphere and that facts can't be seen on a digital recording of a set, and for me it's the most important thing. Today music is easy to get, and newer or older, anyone can play good music, what makes a DJ different are other facts that can't be seen on a digital recording of a clubnight.

All the best,
Jorge
I think if ur into techno then you share that feeling of searching for something new all the time. you know what i mean, like something that makes you go 'what the fck'! so if your gonna keep downloading richie / magda sets etc then you are downloading sets from people who are at the top of their game, so of course they are gonna be playing unreleased stuff, because thats what keeps techno dj's buzzin! before we had easy accsess to the internet it was hard to listen to sets, so we had to wait for richie etc live and it was magic when we finally got to see them. but by keep listening to the latest sets all the time its spoiling the mystery of techno imo. i think hawtin and magda are not recording their sets anymore anyway ulness they give permission. and i hope they keep to their word!