SH-101 Mains Hum

- ask away
gowans
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Re: SH-101 Mains Hum

Post by gowans »

quick question thats off track, if i get a kenton pro solo mkII i know i can sequence the 101 from ableton, but im interested in using the internal sequencer on the 101, would i still be able to use the internal sequencer on the 101 and have it synced to ableton?
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

just connect your clock output on the Pro solo to the external clock input it will play whatever sequence you've loaded in in time, after pressing play
if you do this you can get polyrhythms happening by inputting different length sequences (e.g. 3/5/6/7/9 notes etc.)

a rest or hold counts as a note

if youre using shuffle though you need to send it a 16th rimshot or something percussive thats shuffling in Ableton.

(i think,---- i ve never tried it with Ableton, i always used to clock the 101 sequencer with the clock out on my 909, which comes from the rimshot, so i would put a pattern of just every 16th in the bar of rimshots, then the 101 would shuffle with the same shuffle on the 909.)

try writing a pattern of short 16th notes on a channel in ableton, and instead of plugging the CV out of the Pro solo into the gate in on the 101, plug it into the external clock input.
or try taking an audio out from your soundcard of a 16th rimshot pattern from a softsynth/drummachine and plug that into your ext clk.
Last edited by steevio on Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

gowans wrote:quick question thats off track, if i get a kenton pro solo mkII i know i can sequence the 101 from ableton, but im interested in using the internal sequencer on the 101, would i still be able to use the internal sequencer on the 101 and have it synced to ableton?
I'm still trying to figure out what the hell is going on in terms of sync. I haven't tried triggering the internal sequencer yet - at least I can't remember if I have. I triggered it via a midi/cv converter on my novation super bass station ( sbs )- midi out from Ableton Live - midi in on the sbs - sbs cv/gate out to 101's cv/gate in and after fiddling with the cv transmit on the sbs I got the 101 playing the midi sequence I entered on the sbs channel. My sbs has never been reliable midi-wise, skips notes and does weird sh!t now and then and this seems to transfer to the 101 as well. For some odd reason that I don't understand, the 101 ( depending on what cv tansmit channel I set the sbs ) will ignore what's been programmed in the midi track and will start playing 8th notes in 2 variations depending on the channel.

No wait, I triggered the 101's sequencer from my machinedrum so I have tried that too, I haven't tried this from Live though through the sbs clock out. Damn, why didn't I try that???????? -squint. Not able to set it up now tonight but I will have a go at that tomorrow and let you know. It was a bit weird when I triggered it from the machinedrum I know that. I was just shooting out a pulse/click though and didn't really venture too far into experimenting. Probably get more stable results through the sbs clock out.

I would have thought it would be easy to simply trigger the sequencer, I guess it would just bypass the internal LFO/CLK rate setting and use the external click. One thing is confusing as I type this though, what would you trigger it with if you are using the converter? Does it require a note on message? In which case, does that mean you have to connect the CV/Gates too because if you do not, how would it get the note on message? :?

Steevio or somebody who's familar with cv/gate triggers and whatever would know i guess but I need to be trying that out asap.
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

Steevio, you must have posted that as I was typing. I'm not able to try this out until tomorrow but with just the clocks connected, what provides the trigger/note on message or doesn't it work like that?
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

AK wrote:Steevio, you must have posted that as I was typing. I'm not able to try this out until tomorrow but with just the clocks connected, what provides the trigger/note on message or doesn't it work like that?
you can clock the 101 sequencer without any CV /gate ins, it just needs a pulse into the ext clk. it overrides the LFO clock

all it requires to trigger is the leading edge of a waveform of sufficent amplitude, the LFO/clock is a squarewave and it clocks everytime the wave goes positive, but you can do the same with a short attack/ short or instant decay sound like a rimshot.

you provide the note on message and notes by playing the notes into the sequencer in 'load' mode

its really simple,
agodi
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by agodi »

steevio wrote:
AK wrote:Steevio, you must have posted that as I was typing. I'm not able to try this out until tomorrow but with just the clocks connected, what provides the trigger/note on message or doesn't it work like that?
you can clock the 101 sequencer without any CV /gate ins, it just needs a pulse into the ext clk. it overrides the LFO clock

all it requires to trigger is the leading edge of a waveform of sufficent amplitude, the LFO/clock is a squarewave and it clocks everytime the wave goes positive, but you can do the same with a short attack/ short or instant decay sound like a rimshot.

you provide the note on message and notes by playing the notes into the sequencer in 'load' mode

its really simple,
^^^^^
Using ableton, I use a sample of an 808 trigger, sequence a pattern in impulse, send the audio to the 101's clock through an external output on my soundcard and dial in the notes on the 101. You'll need to play around with the track delay in order to get a proper sync but its bang on once it does.
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

agodi wrote:
steevio wrote:

its really simple,
^^^^^
Using ableton, I use a sample of an 808 trigger, sequence a pattern in impulse, send the audio to the 101's clock through an external output on my soundcard and dial in the notes on the 101. You'll need to play around with the track delay in order to get a proper sync but its bang on once it does.
I'm finishing work at around noon and intend on trying this out. One thing though, when you say you sequence a PATTERN in impulse/live, why are you making a pattern? I'm understanding it on the grounds that the pattern is in the SH-101 and it just needs to be triggered?

Anyway, I can't do the above as I don't have a multiple out card. One thing I'm not understanding is once the 101's sequencer has been triggered, how often does it need to be retriggered? This is confusing the hell out of me just now. For example, say I send it a pulse from the clock out on my sbs - which in turn it connected to ableton live via midi, the midi track I need for the single pulse on the sbs is, at some point going to loop. What happens then? Does the 101's sequencer get RETRIGGERED every time the sbs sends out a pulse? Like say I have a simple 1 bar midi clip in live which triggeres the pulse from the sbs on the first beat, that pulse is going to the 101's ext clock in, now every time the pulse retriggers on the first beat of the bar, what's going to be happening on the 101 if the sequence is longer than a bar? These 2 things have got me wondering. I'm thinking about while I'm working but can't wait until after.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

bro youre confusing two processes.

ok analogue sequencing is really simple, it works like this;

the sequencer moves on one step everytime it receives a pulse. there's no re-triggering or anything (in the SH101).
normally it receives those pulses from its onboard LFO which sends a squarewave at the tempo of the LFO, everytime theres an 'up' part of the squarewave it triggers and moves on one step. it ignores the down part of the squarewave.

all you are doing when you use the external clock input, is replacing the LFO as the clock, so now the sequencer moves on one step everytime it receives the 'up' leading edge of any wave you send it.
a rimshot or hihat or anything which has a sharp leading edge to its waveform will trigger it

and of course a clock output from a CV/MIDI convertor is already a regular pulse by definition, it sends this as soon as you start youre DAW

if youre not using the clock out, you have to send it a pattern of 16ths if you want it to sync in 16ths, but theres nothing stopping you sending it 1/8ths or quarter notes, it will just play slower thats all.

all you are doing is sending it a steady pulse. if your 16ths are shuffled, then the 101 sequencer will shuffle.

now the notes in the sequencer are purely programmed in the 101 itself, they are not in anyway affected by what you send as a clock. thats just a clock.
the sequencer plays whatever notes you play in by hand on the keys in 'load' mode. ( do this while your DAW is stopped) then when you press play and start running your DAW, it will play whatever pattern you have inputted in time with clock pulse you are sending it. if you put 3 notes in, it will play a loop of those 3 notes then return to the beginning, so its a 3/4 polymeter with your DAW

now that you have an analogue synth, it might be worth reading up about analogue synthesis so that you fully understand the concepts.
all paramters are controlled by control voltages - CV's
the facinating thing about analogue synthesis and that which makes it stand out above midi and digital is the fact that EVERYTHING is just voltages, a wave is just a fluctuating voltage, so you can use a wave to control another wave for instance, in the 101 you are using a wave (the LFO) to trigger the sequencer.
so the normal boundaries of midi / audio dissappear, everything becomes one and anything is possible.