Vinyl only?

- open
deccard
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Vinyl only?

Post by deccard »

tone-def wrote:he probably got bored with it, or maybe vinyl lovers hurt his feelings by saying he's not a real DJ.
well i know camea plays with sync now. fits the music i guess.
techno made me do it
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

deccard wrote:
tone-def wrote:he probably got bored with it, or maybe vinyl lovers hurt his feelings by saying he's not a real DJ.
well i know camea plays with sync now. fits the music i guess.
Ahh yes true, doesn't Tim also do that (at least I saw him do it here in Copenhagen 3 years ago)..
Phase Ghost
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Phase Ghost »

Auto-sync is wack on every level. For one, it's not reliable and secondly, sometimes a tune needs to be off a little to sound right. Finally, you're not a dj if you can't beatmatch.

As far as vinyl vs digital, it's less and less of an issue every day. Like most people that started dj'ing between the mid 90's and early 00's, I bought vinyl. That's all there was. When final scratch and cdj's started hitting the scene I was torn between hating and loving it. Being able to play my own tracks out was so awesome, but I saw right away how this was going to really hurt the vinyl market as well as artists who were going to lose out because of pirating. Initially I was very much against the whole thing

These days I only buy a few pieces of vinyl a year (well techno, I still buy a bit of vintage stuff from second hand shops) and am playing cd's pretty much exclusively. There are no more record stores around and paying to ship vinyl just makes it too expensive. If the costs were similar, I'd play only vinyl without a doubt. I'd much rather use turntables than cdj's, but it's just not feasible. If you're a good dj, you should be able to play on cdj's or decks. It's the skill and track selection that really matter.

The whole laptop thing is annoying though. I was bringing out mine with a controller for a while (beatmatching, no autosync), but it's a pain in the ass to haul out and I feel like people think I'm checking my e-mail up there.

Effects and sh!t are usually crap by the way. If you can't put together a set with 2 decks and a mixer, you need to practice more.
simonb
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by simonb »

Phase Ghost wrote:Effects and sh!t are usually crap by the way. If you can't put together a set with 2 decks and a mixer, you need to practice more.
Well said. A lot of beginner DJs think that effects and other fancy features are a necessity. Hence why all these horrible mixers by Behringer etc sell so well.
whatever
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by whatever »

Phase Ghost wrote:you're not a dj if you can't beatmatch.
WORD!

i'm totally against the use of computer in DJing.
simonb
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by simonb »

whatever wrote:
Phase Ghost wrote:you're not a dj if you can't beatmatch.
WORD!

i'm totally against the use of computer in DJing.
Why?

Not debating, just interested in peoples' thoughts :) I'm seriously considering going for Serato or Traktor, just can't afford all the music I want on vinyl and moving house has really made me think about the amount of tunes I just don't play anymore (although I buy much more carefully than I used to.)
Phase Ghost
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Phase Ghost »

I can't speak for others, but I just get turned off why I see someone dj'ing with their laptop. Especially when it's dead center in front of them. It's like a wall between the dj and the audience. I know a couple guys that use serato with 1200's that try and keep it as hidden as possible, which is a bit better. It's purely aesthetic really. If you don't see the guy, no problem.

I did the traktor thing for a while. I'm much happier using cdj's.
whatever
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by whatever »

the computer is like a stain of residual oil in the sea of what DJing suppose to be (enourmous these days, threating to kill the life in that sea)...i know a lot of people who gave up using traktor in the favour of vinyls and CDs. using computer is something fake, dry, dead :roll:
when i play music, i send what i feel to the others. letting a souless machine to interfere in this process, that's just WRONG!