modular synthesis

- ask away
Phase Ghost
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Phase Ghost »

Steevio, how are you liking that Metasonix R-51? All the metsaonix modules look cool, but them demos are all trash.

Also, I'm in a sequencer dilemna of sorts. Analog Haven is out of the A-155's for a month. Which is fine, because I'm not gonna have the cash to grab it until then. But, the Make Noise Rene is on the horizon as well as the Doepfer Dark Time. The Dark Time, which is just a sketch apparently, looks nice.

I imagine the A-155 will still be cheaper than both of them though. I'm really curious about the Rene's pricing and final design
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

the R51 is probably the only 'normal' Metasonix module, its not extreme like the other stuff, i like it, it gives tube warmth to any patch and fattens things up. its not cheap, but i wanted to grab one incase they stop making them, i love tubes, and theres no gurantee they'll keep making those modules if people arent buying them.
thers no market for them here in the UK, but alot of it is to do with the metasonix punky marketing techniques, and horrible unmusical demos.
theres not really a noise scene here in the UK, they'll never sell any here like that. shame its a great module.

the Rene looks cool, but i'm spent up for now, i think ive got the balance right.
if you can t get hold of an A155, ASys do an even better featured sequencer the RS200, its a little more expensive, but not as expensive as a A155/154 combo, and really you need the pair if you want to be serious
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

I've been worried about small production runs of these modules as well. Many devices from the recent past have been disconitnued and modular is very much a boutique thing.

I think the R51 looks interesting.

About the noise scene in the UK, I think it's reasonably popular but I think it's rare for people to use modular systems. I don't like noise music especially but I'm open to the fact that raw blank noise can be a unique and useful sonic form, especially if balanced somehow with other musical elements.
coldfuture
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by coldfuture »

Wow, so this thread finally got to me, and I started building a plan on modular planner.

I have wanted to go modular for some time, but have avoided it due to some of the demo-inspired fears that Steevio cited.

But then your explanation of the whole shebang on the second page of this thread was so crystal clear and full of enthusiasm, Steevio, that I finally felt like it would be wise to do this soon... I am just so inspired by your write up.

My plan so far is:

My plan so far is:

2x TipTop z3000 osc
1x TipTop z8000 sequencer
1x TipTop z2040 LPF
1x Harvestman Polivoks VCF
2x Doepfer A-141 VCASDR
1x TipTop z5000 VC-FX
1x Plan B Module 33 VCA
1x MakeNoise MATHS
1x Doepfer A-190 MCVS

Very TipTop heavy I know, but the one good demo of some modular stuff I have seen was done by an old acquaintance Richard Devine recently and it was rocking these TipTop modules to the point where I got obsessed.

:)
"Why does this process have to be SO complex" -- Ritardo Montalban
Torque
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Torque »

I love modular synths just because of the super nerdyness of it all and i plan to build one myself one day. But as of right now i havent really heard any modular setups where the sound just wowed me. I guess it all comes down to the VCO.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

Torque wrote:I love modular synths just because of the super nerdyness of it all and i plan to build one myself one day. But as of right now i havent really heard any modular setups where the sound just wowed me. I guess it all comes down to the VCO.
bro the new VCOs coming out right now are awesome, best ive ever heard.
these guys are really taking it seriously.
Torque
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Torque »

steevio wrote:
Torque wrote:I love modular synths just because of the super nerdyness of it all and i plan to build one myself one day. But as of right now i havent really heard any modular setups where the sound just wowed me. I guess it all comes down to the VCO.
bro the new VCOs coming out right now are awesome, best ive ever heard.
these guys are really taking it seriously.
sweet :)

who's got the hot sh!t?
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

@ victorjohn

i'm really happy you got inspired bro,

good luck with it !