how did you start listening to minimal music?

- open
harass
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by harass »

shypht wrote:Then, one day - I listented to Hawtin while in a k-hole, which just further enforced my love of minimal, I suddenly 'got' plastikman, and started to listen to alot more minimal stuff after that :)
ahahhahahah word...
smith
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by smith »

A tough question indeed. Usually people don't just fall into listening habits, it's more of a gradual thing. A few highlights for me..

-Plastikman's release of Sheet 1 and then hearing him and Terry Mullan DJ at Trascendence's Fusion party in 1994.
-Hearing Murat & Jeff Milligan DJ in Toronto in the mid 90's
-While vacationing in Cologne in 1998 opting to hit the hardwax vs. formic popkomm event rather than hear Jeff Mills spin. Monolake and Brinkman were playing and if there was pretty much no turning back after this night. :)
-as a DJ force inc. and mille plateaux were both pretty seminal labels for me

There are lots of other moments I can point at though, like the first time I listened to Steve Reich's drumming with headphones on!

,g
Aleksi
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Aleksi »

a holiday in berlin forced me into more techy music, and minimal :D
sektori
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by sektori »

1992 or so I got into The Prodigy and all that breakbeat stuff. Also tried briefly some hardcore,gabber and trance. but first minimal was Ø -Metri CD on Sähkö. It was 1994, shorty after that I heard Robert Hood's Spirit Levels from radio. ever since I've been mostly into more or less minimal stuff.
dncn
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by dncn »

my mate lee andrews when he was working in pelicanneck, boomkats shop in manchester, just a case of 'check this out' i think it was a sascha funke record to start with, I was already making stuff not too far from that sound , but kompakt and traum/trapez were definite early influences.
Semirk
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Semirk »

Just a general progression through styles really. I've always liked techno but minimal techno is definately hotter at the moment.
Robot Criminal
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Robot Criminal »

HC-> dnb (long, long period)-> techno (also long period)-> mnml...
(@ present i'm listening mnml, techno (not the clubby, italo party sh!t though), jazz, etc etc etc etc etc but absolutely NO dnb, just can't stand it)

i've allways listened to ambient though... (since when i really started to listen stuff)
Image we are all atomic and subatomic particles and we are all wireless...
fromkaraoketostardom
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by fromkaraoketostardom »

electronica (Warp & al), abstract hip hop, then discovered The Electric Ladyland series on Mille Plateaux, then Force Inc (my fav label of all time), Sutekh, Twerk, then Plastikman, then Richie, then parties, then lil pills, off we go !!!!